Heavy Armor: Where to train?

Here's where all things related to Book II are being discussed!
Post Reply
mph66
Apprentice
Posts: 37
Joined: July 2nd, 2010, 9:05 am

Heavy Armor: Where to train?

Post by mph66 »

Is there an NPC who will train me in heavy armor? I'm playing a fighter who is still stuck with light armor at lev 12. Trying to avoid using skill points if possible. Have tons of gold, though.
mph66
Apprentice
Posts: 37
Joined: July 2nd, 2010, 9:05 am

Re: Heavy Armor: Where to train?

Post by mph66 »

Gracias, amigo!
Bob the Thief
Apprentice
Posts: 35
Joined: July 19th, 2010, 11:21 pm

Re: Heavy Armor: Where to train?

Post by Bob the Thief »

There is a book that will give you some Heavy Armor levels. Forget what it's called.
User avatar
Painted Lady
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Posts: 811
Joined: April 23rd, 2009, 4:09 pm

Re: Heavy Armor: Where to train?

Post by Painted Lady »

It's called "A Soldier's Guide to Heavy Armour."
User avatar
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate
Posts: 1372
Joined: June 4th, 2010, 7:18 pm

Re: Heavy Armor: Where to train?

Post by SpottedShroom »

mph66 wrote:Is there an NPC who will train me in heavy armor? I'm playing a fighter who is still stuck with light armor at lev 12. Trying to avoid using skill points if possible. Have tons of gold, though.
Two other points:

Light armor isn't really any worse than heavy armor. You can get it in just as high an armor rating, and it weighs (and costs?) less.

Also, more than one level of an armor skill isn't all that helpful. More levels give you a higher chance to take half damage from attacks, but not enough of a chance to give you much protection.
User avatar
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General
Posts: 2469
Joined: April 26th, 2008, 4:44 pm

Re: Heavy Armor: Where to train?

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

Light armor does wear down a bit faster than heavy armor, but that's a fairly minor point overall.
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
User avatar
Painted Lady
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Posts: 811
Joined: April 23rd, 2009, 4:09 pm

Re: Heavy Armor: Where to train?

Post by Painted Lady »

Actually, I think wearing Heavy Armor is usually a mistake. It takes so much strength just to haul the stuff around, and it doesn't necessarily provide more protection than Light Armor does.

That said, there is one quest which is simplified if you can wear the heavy stuff....
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate
Posts: 1469
Joined: December 11th, 2007, 6:51 am
Location: Wandering the Rift

Re: Heavy Armor: Where to train?

Post by Randomizer »

Heavy armor can give you slightly higher base armor, especially in the gauntlets and belt. Most of the other pieces are within 1 armor level. Wear from damage is usually slower.

Weight is the biggest concern especially when looting Hammerlorne. Now can I do it in 3 trips or 6?
Rowanas
Council Member
Posts: 183
Joined: July 3rd, 2010, 6:04 am

Re: Heavy Armor: Where to train?

Post by Rowanas »

I use light armour for my head, boots and torso, because there's no difference there. As randomizer says, gauntlets and belts are the only places where it really makes a difference.
User avatar
IJBall
Major
Major
Posts: 1686
Joined: August 31st, 2008, 12:07 pm
Location: Southern California

Re: Heavy Armor: Where to train?

Post by IJBall »

Rowanas wrote:I use light armour for my head, boots and torso, because there's no difference there. As randomizer says, gauntlets and belts are the only places where it really makes a difference.
Yeah, I'm sure some of us have some thoughts on how to "fix" Heavy Armor vs. Light Armor in Book III (I know I do! ;) ) - because, right now, I generally agree that there is actually no reason to go with Heavy Armor over Light Armor in Book I and esp. in Book II.
Post Reply