time element ingame

Ask questions, share hints or chat in general about Eschalon: Book I.
Post Reply
krisklef
Fellowcraft Apprentice
Posts: 45
Joined: January 29th, 2008, 11:42 pm
Location: Tennessee

time element ingame

Post by krisklef »

I have really been enjoying the turn-based aspect of this game. Couple thoughts about making time an important consideration for the player in follow-up games:

I like the suggestions I've read on this forum about requiring a turn to switch weapons or other activities in combat. It might be good balance to also require a turn for ANY switch from inventory bag to paperdoll (e.g. amulet, shield, ring). If the turn is only spent when the window closes, that would prevent dragging errors.

The act of reading a book and digesting its contents to increase skill levels might require a half-day or a day; likewise, skill-teachers could require a few days for their services. Quick-traveling could still spend the required amount of time for shortest travel route (including restoring MP/HP). These time expenditures would become important if monsters repopulated some areas. Also, some quests could be tied to timelines, allowing the character a reasonable chance to complete them, but potentially forcing the player to choose between delaying learning/healing/selling in order to get the job done in time.

Finally, I wish there was a way ingame to track which texts I've read, since they only work once. Sometimes I'm tempted to purchase one, but have forgotten that I already read and sold it.

Also, a way to mark on the map which chest locations I've stored goodies in. I could REALLY use that one . . . (Can you guess that my memory isn't what it used to be?)

:)
krisklef
Post Reply