What is the deal with nefarious damage?
What is the deal with nefarious damage?
This was an attack with a thrown weapon. As you can see, the base damage is 34. Adding 50% would give 51, before including the bonus damage of 2.
I believe a similar effect was reported sometime ago, but I am playing version 1.05.
I believe a similar effect was reported sometime ago, but I am playing version 1.05.
- Attachments
-
- Medieval Math
- mire troll.jpg (79.56 KiB) Viewed 6502 times
-
BasiliskWrangler
- Site Admin
- Posts: 3899
- Joined: July 6th, 2006, 11:31 am
- Location: The Grid
- Contact:
Re: What is the deal with nefarious damage?
Looks like the roll is getting a x2.0 modifier instead of a x1.5 modifier. Unsure why this hasn't been caught before- but it could be that there is an additional bonus being applied that isn't showing up in the text window.
Re: What is the deal with nefarious damage?
Hm, maybe it was both a critical and nefarious hit? Do the two not stack? I will update if I can repeat this.BasiliskWrangler wrote:Looks like the roll is getting a x2.0 modifier instead of a x1.5 modifier. Unsure why this hasn't been caught before- but it could be that there is an additional bonus being applied that isn't showing up in the text window.
Re: What is the deal with nefarious damage?
That would have been written on screen.Antigrav wrote: Hm, maybe it was both a critical and nefarious hit? Do the two not stack? I will update if I can repeat this.
Nefarious always did twice the damage for me, I thought that was the normal stuff.
-
Kreador Freeaxe
- Major General

- Posts: 2469
- Joined: April 26th, 2008, 4:44 pm
Re: What is the deal with nefarious damage?
Were you also using your weapon feat? It looks like 1.5X for the Nefarious damage and 2X for something else, either a critical or a weapon feat. The latter wouldn't show up in the activity window.
---
Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
Re: What is the deal with nefarious damage?
Nope, just a regular throw. I've had so few nefarious hits that I haven't had a good chance to check the damage. Either they're bugged or I also got a critical at the same time and they don't stack, and the nefarious damage text overrides the critical message.Kreador Freeaxe wrote:Were you also using your weapon feat? It looks like 1.5X for the Nefarious damage and 2X for something else, either a critical or a weapon feat. The latter wouldn't show up in the activity window.
-
Evnissyen
- Captain

- Posts: 1078
- Joined: July 7th, 2008, 12:28 pm
- Location: Elizabeth Warren Land
- Contact:
Re: What is the deal with nefarious damage?
Hmm... . I used a nefarious character once in Book I, but I don't remember exactly how many nefarious hits I got out of him. I seem to remember getting a good number of them... .
I do remember the Druidic trait being useful for hp regeneration when out and about in good ol' nature. The Atheistic trait was good for rarely not getting cursed . . . rarely being an operative word, here, however.
So if nefarious damage, in Book II, is applied only really rarely... how useful is it when compared with, say, the Druidic trait?
Are players who think that nefarious damage is going to be wicked helpful getting a raw deal, do you think?
I do remember the Druidic trait being useful for hp regeneration when out and about in good ol' nature. The Atheistic trait was good for rarely not getting cursed . . . rarely being an operative word, here, however.
So if nefarious damage, in Book II, is applied only really rarely... how useful is it when compared with, say, the Druidic trait?
Are players who think that nefarious damage is going to be wicked helpful getting a raw deal, do you think?
Certainty: a character-driven, literary, turn-based mini-CRPG in which Vasek, legendary "Wandering Philosopher", seeks certainties in a cryptically insular, organic, critically layered city.
Re: What is the deal with nefarious damage?
If you play a mage or a cleric, not really. If you are a warrior, it's quite usefull (1 hit in 20 is double damage, sometimes you even get a critical hit at the same time).Evnissyen wrote: Are players who think that nefarious damage is going to be wicked helpful getting a raw deal, do you think?
Re: What is the deal with nefarious damage?
Some more examples here.
- Attachments
-
- "Normal" nefarious damage.
- harpy.tiff (57.27 KiB) Viewed 6382 times
-
- "Normal" nefarious damage.
- golem.tiff (76.08 KiB) Viewed 6382 times
-
- Another case of surprisingly high damage.
- brimstone.tiff (67.2 KiB) Viewed 6382 times
-
SpottedShroom
- Captain Magnate

- Posts: 1372
- Joined: June 4th, 2010, 7:18 pm
Re: What is the deal with nefarious damage?
I'll bet you'd like nefarious damage to do 1.5x normal damage. I'll bet that would make you happy in your cozy little world. Well, I've got news for you: nefarious damage doesn't play by the rules. It will do as much damage as it wants, whenever it wants, to whoever it wants. If you can't handle it, maybe you should have gone with some safe, bland axiom that you can take home to meet your parents.
Re: What is the deal with nefarious damage?
Ha!SpottedShroom wrote:I'll bet you'd like nefarious damage to do 1.5x normal damage. I'll bet that would make you happy in your cozy little world. Well, I've got news for you: nefarious damage doesn't play by the rules. It will do as much damage as it wants, whenever it wants, to whoever it wants. If you can't handle it, maybe you should have gone with some safe, bland axiom that you can take home to meet your parents.
Yes, my bonuses should be stable and round to the nearest wholesome number.
-
Evnissyen
- Captain

- Posts: 1078
- Joined: July 7th, 2008, 12:28 pm
- Location: Elizabeth Warren Land
- Contact:
Re: What is the deal with nefarious damage?
Hey, with the right girl, even Nefarious Damage can change.
Certainty: a character-driven, literary, turn-based mini-CRPG in which Vasek, legendary "Wandering Philosopher", seeks certainties in a cryptically insular, organic, critically layered city.
-
KillingMoon
- Officer [Gold Rank]
![Officer [Gold Rank] Officer [Gold Rank]](./images/ranks/officer3.png)
- Posts: 460
- Joined: December 10th, 2009, 6:34 pm
- Location: NW Europe
Re: What is the deal with nefarious damage?
Sorry for this delayed post, I'm not often visiting anymore.
I reported earlier the sometimes much higher Nefarious damage, here: http://www.basiliskgames.com/forums/vie ... =12&t=3683
But there's a perhaps interesting difference in the calculation. If you look at the pictures closely, you see that in Antigrav's picture extra damage gets added after the initial calculation, and only in the Troll's suffered hitpoints the final total is properly reflected.
In my pictures already in the calculation the final total gets mentioned. I wouldn't know what causes that difference.
My version was much earlier, but it looks like BasiliskWrangler has never adjusted Nefarious. I would like to stress that I don't find that needed at all as well. It works like SpottedShroom mentioned, and that's fine. If anything needs to be changed, it is the Nefarious description. If in the description a 50% increase of damage is mentioned, and players are experiencing something quite different, then you can expect them going: 'What's up?'
I reported earlier the sometimes much higher Nefarious damage, here: http://www.basiliskgames.com/forums/vie ... =12&t=3683
But there's a perhaps interesting difference in the calculation. If you look at the pictures closely, you see that in Antigrav's picture extra damage gets added after the initial calculation, and only in the Troll's suffered hitpoints the final total is properly reflected.
In my pictures already in the calculation the final total gets mentioned. I wouldn't know what causes that difference.
My version was much earlier, but it looks like BasiliskWrangler has never adjusted Nefarious. I would like to stress that I don't find that needed at all as well. It works like SpottedShroom mentioned, and that's fine. If anything needs to be changed, it is the Nefarious description. If in the description a 50% increase of damage is mentioned, and players are experiencing something quite different, then you can expect them going: 'What's up?'