skill point in elemental / divination for a wizard

Here's where all things related to Book II are being discussed!
Post Reply
colear
Pledge
Posts: 2
Joined: June 9th, 2010, 2:22 pm

skill point in elemental / divination for a wizard

Post by colear »

hello,

I'm new to Eschalon, and search to optimize my skills points. So my question is : is there any need to attribute more than 11 points in elemental / divination ?

Thanks,
colear
User avatar
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General
Posts: 2469
Joined: April 26th, 2008, 4:44 pm

Re: skill point in elemental / divination for a wizard

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

If you want to be able to cast the third tier spells at their highest levels, yes. 11 allows you to cast Tier 1 spells at level 6, but Tier 2 only at level 3, and Tier 3 only at level 2, I believe (just now doing my first run as a mage in Book II, so I haven't gotten to Tier 3 spells yet).
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
User avatar
lady dorian
Initiate
Posts: 6
Joined: June 9th, 2010, 2:37 pm
Location: Amsterdam, Netherlands

Re: skill point in elemental / divination for a wizard

Post by lady dorian »

Yes, there is. You may you use in the middle of the game some important spells when fighting against enemies. And when you want to cast them on a high level you will need an elemental skill of at least 17 (or 20, the highest).

*edit*

I missed the part about 'tier 1,2 or 3 spells'. Do you need a higher level of a skill when you cast a tier 3 spell , or is it only about the need of 'intelligence' and 'wisdom' to learn them?
User avatar
IJBall
Major
Major
Posts: 1686
Joined: August 31st, 2008, 12:07 pm
Location: Southern California

Re: skill point in elemental / divination for a wizard

Post by IJBall »

Kreador Freeaxe wrote:If you want to be able to cast the third tier spells at their highest levels, yes. 11 allows you to cast Tier 1 spells at level 6, but Tier 2 only at level 3, and Tier 3 only at level 2, I believe...
If Book II is like Book I, Level 11 in a Magick skill only allows you to cast a Tier 3 spell at Level 1 not Level 2.
User avatar
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate
Posts: 1372
Joined: June 4th, 2010, 7:18 pm

Re: skill point in elemental / divination for a wizard

Post by SpottedShroom »

Your stat - Intelligence or Wisdom - determines what tier spells you can learn, and also how many total spells you can learn.

Your casting skill determines what level you can cast a spell at. I don't remember the total needed to cast tier 3 spells at level 6, but it's substantially higher than 11. After you can cast the best spells at the highest level, though, boosting casting skill doesn't do anything.
User avatar
IJBall
Major
Major
Posts: 1686
Joined: August 31st, 2008, 12:07 pm
Location: Southern California

Re: skill point in elemental / divination for a wizard

Post by IJBall »

SpottedShroom wrote:Your stat - Intelligence or Wisdom - determines what tier spells you can learn, and also how many total spells you can learn.
About this last issue - does anyone know the details on how the INT/WIS number limits "how many spells you can learn"?!

I've just run into this issue for the first time in Book II - I have high enough WIS to read Tier 2 spells, so I read maybe half a dozen of them, but when I tried to read a 7th(roughly) spell scroll it told me that "My mind was full" and that "I need higher WIS" to be able to read any more spells! :oops:

So, has anyone figured out the "formula" for that yet?!
SpottedShroom wrote:Your casting skill determines what level you can cast a spell at. I don't remember the total needed to cast tier 3 spells at level 6, but it's substantially higher than 11. After you can cast the best spells at the highest level, though, boosting casting skill doesn't do anything.
If Book II is like Book I, the "max" you need is a Magick at Level 31 - Level 31 allows you to cast a Tier 3 spell at Level 6.
silverkitty
Senior Council Member
Posts: 243
Joined: January 22nd, 2008, 9:41 pm

Re: skill point in elemental / divination for a wizard

Post by silverkitty »

Max # of spells is int/2 (or wis/2 for divination).
User avatar
IJBall
Major
Major
Posts: 1686
Joined: August 31st, 2008, 12:07 pm
Location: Southern California

Re: skill point in elemental / divination for a wizard

Post by IJBall »

silverkitty wrote:Max # of spells is int/2 (or wis/2 for divination).
That was fast! Thanks! :)

(P.S. Is that INT/WIS with bonuses applied, or without?...)
colear
Pledge
Posts: 2
Joined: June 9th, 2010, 2:22 pm

Re: skill point in elemental / divination for a wizard

Post by colear »

Thanks for your help !
User avatar
Gorgon Rider
Marshall
Posts: 100
Joined: May 26th, 2010, 1:42 pm
Location: Surrey, B.C., Canada

Re: skill point in elemental / divination for a wizard

Post by Gorgon Rider »

With. So if you find a ring or other item that boosts the stat, it will allow you to learn more spells.
User avatar
lady dorian
Initiate
Posts: 6
Joined: June 9th, 2010, 2:37 pm
Location: Amsterdam, Netherlands

Re: skill point in elemental / divination for a wizard

Post by lady dorian »

SpottedShroom wrote:Your stat - Intelligence or Wisdom - determines what tier spells you can learn, and also how many total spells you can learn.

Your casting skill determines what level you can cast a spell at. I don't remember the total needed to cast tier 3 spells at level 6, but it's substantially higher than 11. After you can cast the best spells at the highest level, though, boosting casting skill doesn't do anything.
Thanks for the answer!
User avatar
lady dorian
Initiate
Posts: 6
Joined: June 9th, 2010, 2:37 pm
Location: Amsterdam, Netherlands

Re: skill point in elemental / divination for a wizard

Post by lady dorian »

Gorgon Rider wrote:With. So if you find a ring or other item that boosts the stat, it will allow you to learn more spells.
Haha, yes, that's what I do! 8) If I want to learn a spell and it said that I need a level of 20 WIS to learn it, I only have to use the right hat & amulet, et voila, it works! :mrgreen:
Post Reply