Page 1 of 1

Dwarf as a chosen race

Posted: February 11th, 2014, 5:10 pm
by tibun
Would it be possible to chose dwarf as a chosen race, would be great playing one of those. I dont know how it would be ok with the lore, but I would like to see it. BTW - Played book 2 recently (new player) and LOVED IT :mrgreen: Cant wait for B3...

Re: Dwarf as a chosen race

Posted: February 11th, 2014, 6:06 pm
by SpottedShroom
But Book III is going to support some level of modding. New maps are probably the most likely, but maybe we'll be able to do things like change the PC's graphic. I'd like to play as a borehead beetle, personally.

Re: Dwarf as a chosen race

Posted: February 11th, 2014, 7:18 pm
by Painted Lady
tibun wrote:Would it be possible to chose dwarf as a chosen race, would be great playing one of those. I dont know how it would be ok with the lore, but I would like to see it. BTW - Played book 2 recently (new player) and LOVED IT :mrgreen: Cant wait for B3...
You really need to play Book I - it is a wonderful game.

Re: Dwarf as a chosen race

Posted: February 11th, 2014, 8:02 pm
by Corlain
The only major problem with Book 1 is the slow walking speed. It will literally make you want to throw yourself into oncoming traffic to end the pain.

Re: Dwarf as a chosen race

Posted: February 12th, 2014, 1:04 am
by Lord_P
Corlain wrote:The only major problem with Book 1 is the slow walking speed. It will literally make you want to throw yourself into oncoming traffic to end the pain.
Please do not mention that on these forums. The patrons will literally rip you to pieces.

Re: Dwarf as a chosen race

Posted: February 12th, 2014, 3:34 am
by mbrowne
Lord_P wrote:
Corlain wrote:The only major problem with Book 1 is the slow walking speed. It will literally make you want to throw yourself into oncoming traffic to end the pain.
Please do not mention that on these forums. The patrons will literally rip you to pieces.
It sounds like a problem with certain machines. Running fullscreen on a 1920x1200 display I would have liked to slow the walk speed a bit. It was slower running it windowed.

And does "literally" have a literal meaning anymore?

Re: Dwarf as a chosen race

Posted: February 12th, 2014, 4:20 am
by KillingMoon
The walking was rather slow in Book I, a very frequent patron in this pub and lead-tester of the first 2 games like CrazyBernie would say the same thing.
Also now, with a slightly quicker walking speed since Book II, there will still be people who won't buy the game because there's no 'run' setting. That's just the way it is, not every design decision made with the series will appeal to everybody.

Re: Dwarf as a chosen race

Posted: February 12th, 2014, 4:30 am
by Calathon
I had no problems with how fast the character walked. In fact, I did not notice any change in speed between part I and II. I think the walking speed is quite fine and I would not like to have the option to run - not if there would not be any limitations concerning carrying weight, because a fully armoured warrior will hardly be able to run at high speed for a short distance or at moderate speed for more than a couple of minutes.

And thanks to the "teleporters" you will never have to cross the entire land when travelling from one place to another. By the way, is there not a spell which allows you to teleport without the predefined "teleport-locations"? I have never played a powerful mage, so I do not know very well about the spells, but I think I once read about such a spell... :?:

Re: Dwarf as a chosen race

Posted: February 12th, 2014, 10:20 am
by IJBall
Prismatic Maelstrom wrote:That would be the tier 3 Elemental spell Portal. In Book I you could use it in any location but in Book II some locations won't allow you to use the spell.
Yeah, probably too many locations in Book II (see: here, under "Map Issues"; and here)!... ;)

Re: Dwarf as a chosen race

Posted: February 12th, 2014, 10:50 am
by SpottedShroom
Lord_P wrote:
Corlain wrote:The only major problem with Book 1 is the slow walking speed. It will literally make you want to throw yourself into oncoming traffic to end the pain.
Please do not mention that on these forums. The patrons will literally rip you to pieces.
I for one will only figuratively rip you to pieces.

Re: Dwarf as a chosen race

Posted: February 12th, 2014, 12:34 pm
by BasiliskWrangler
I'm pretty sure that if I had made the animation of your character appear to be running, but the overall scrolling speed was the same, we'd get no complaints at all.

Re: Dwarf as a chosen race

Posted: February 12th, 2014, 1:23 pm
by Calathon
BasiliskWrangler wrote:I'm pretty sure that if I had made the animation of your character appear to be running, but the overall scrolling speed was the same, we'd get no complaints at all.
:lol: The power of illusion! But then you would have a lot of people complaining about always running into traps because they cannot walk cautiously. :wink:

Re: Dwarf as a chosen race

Posted: February 12th, 2014, 5:15 pm
by Vroqren
mbrowne wrote:
Lord_P wrote:
Corlain wrote:The only major problem with Book 1 is the slow walking speed. It will literally make you want to throw yourself into oncoming traffic to end the pain.
Please do not mention that on these forums. The patrons will literally rip you to pieces.
And does "literally" have a literal meaning anymore?
It certainly should. I for one, only use literally when I mean it. And I believe Lord P was referring to the sensitive subject of 'throwing yourself into oncoming traffic'. There have been some unfortunate circumstances with some members of this forum in the last 6 months.

Re: Dwarf as a chosen race

Posted: February 13th, 2014, 3:03 pm
by blatherbeard
Can i speculatively rip you to pieces? ;)

I never really noticed book I's slow walking speed, but i also havent gone back to play it again(nor have i finished book 2 yikes!! lost saves do indeed suck)

but watching that review, that pc was definitely slow. I know its never been that bad and ive had 3 pc upgrades sine book I.