Page 1 of 1

So what program was this game created with?

Posted: May 15th, 2013, 9:10 pm
by CasualPerfectionist
I enjoy this game very much and I am curious about what this game was made with. Thanks! :D

Re: So what program was this game created with?

Posted: May 15th, 2013, 10:31 pm
by Kreador Freeaxe
This has been answered a few times, once pretty recently, but I'm too lazy to look it up also. Anyway, the Eschalon games have been/are being developed using BlitzMax, but BasiliskWrangler has said that due to limitations of the software and changes made by the developers thereof, he won't be using it going forward in new games after Book III.

Re: So what program was this game created with?

Posted: May 15th, 2013, 10:52 pm
by IJBall
Kreador Freeaxe wrote:This has been answered a few times, once pretty recently, but I'm too lazy to look it up also. Anyway, the Eschalon games have been/are being developed using BlitzMax, but BasiliskWrangler has said that due to limitations of the software and changes made by the developers thereof, he won't be using it going forward in new games after Book III.
The added factor is that, according the BW, Blitz is basically discontinuing BlitzMax and dropping development for it, abandoning it in favor of a new programming environment that is actually incompatible with their earlier BlitzMax product!!

Why businesses do boneheaded stuff, I'll never know... :roll:

Anyway, this move basically dooms BlitzMax, so I doubt BW could have stayed with it even if he had wanted to (which he doesn't...).

Re: So what program was this game created with?

Posted: May 16th, 2013, 12:42 am
by Randomizer
IJBall wrote:Why businesses do boneheaded stuff, I'll never know... :roll:
Apple does it all the time with eliminating backwards compatibility with their older operating systems. Microsoft inefficiently tried to maintain support for older ones before recent ones.

It's a push to force users to buy the newest one since customers don't want to risk no support. Microsoft once included a phony error message warning of the possibility of computer failure if you used another company's DOS with their Windows even though they worked fine together.

Re: So what program was this game created with?

Posted: May 16th, 2013, 9:03 am
by Kreador Freeaxe
Randomizer wrote:
IJBall wrote:Why businesses do boneheaded stuff, I'll never know... :roll:
Apple does it all the time with eliminating backwards compatibility with their older operating systems. Microsoft inefficiently tried to maintain support for older ones before recent ones.

It's a push to force users to buy the newest one since customers don't want to risk no support. Microsoft once included a phony error message warning of the possibility of computer failure if you used another company's DOS with their Windows even though they worked fine together.
Yep Apple steadily managed to eliminate my ability to keep using my old HP 5MP printer which has inexpensive replacement toner and is a real workhorse. Now I have a newer HP with toner that's twice as expensive and lasts half as long.

Re: So what program was this game created with?

Posted: May 19th, 2013, 4:52 pm
by CasualPerfectionist
Thanks Kreador Freeaxe for your answer, it helped me a lot. Another quick question if you or anybody else doesn't mind, what will they be using when they stop with Blitzmax? If the publishers have even released that information.

Re: So what program was this game created with?

Posted: May 20th, 2013, 10:05 am
by Lord_P
BW mentioned the possiblity of using Unity with the next project.