Page 1 of 1
XCOM: Enemy Unknown
Posted: March 6th, 2012, 1:43 pm
by sirdilznik
So Firaxis Games, maker of amazing strategy games such as
Alpha Centauri an the
Civilization series, is making a reimagining of one of the greatest PC games ever made, the original
XCOM. And no this is not that other
XCOM game where they decided that the best way to pay homage to the classic is to turn it into a FPS, like every other ****ing game being made these days, this is a bona fide, tactical, turn-based, squad-based strategy game like the original. Anyway the first gameplay/developer commentary video is out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... uHHmTSDCvA
Now whenever a beloved classic gets "reimagined" I get scared that too much will be changed, the game will not be able to live up to the lofty standard set by the original, or that they'll simply **** it up. After having watched the video I was blown away. I pretty much popped wood. Holy ****, it looks like Firaxis is doing everything right! This new game may actually live up to the glorious standard of the original and be a worthy reimagining. Good lord I hope this game winds up being as good as it looks and sounds.

Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown
Posted: April 18th, 2012, 4:52 pm
by severian
nope. I don`t think so.
it saddens me, that developers kept thinking of players as morons, unable to make very basic tactical decisions.
instead of superb TUs/energy solution, they propose utterly ridiculous "walk or shoot".
so I will rather stay with the original TEU and TFTD, looking out for some decent clones with no fd-up gameplay and game mechanics.
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown
Posted: May 22nd, 2012, 8:13 am
by Rotnefson
I played through the original very recently (first time I actually made it to the end) so I'm quite happy to see something new coming up.
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown
Posted: May 22nd, 2012, 4:41 pm
by sirdilznik
Release date has been revealed: October 9th
That gives me some time to let my aching wallet recover. *shakes fist at Kickstarter* Not sure if I will get this day 1, but I'm almost certainly going to get this game eventually as the original was so fantastic.
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown
Posted: May 22nd, 2012, 9:45 pm
by blatherbeard
I never played the first Xcom but this version seems to be right up my alley. I love the idea behind the "glam cam".
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown
Posted: May 23rd, 2012, 10:51 am
by sirdilznik
Here's a brand new video focusing on base building:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... 88EcjtDnyE#!
Man, I'm so excited for this game. It's going to be freakin' awesome!

Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown
Posted: October 4th, 2012, 6:48 am
by Rotnefson
A demo is available at steam. I have to say I'm disappointed. Too much holding hand, and the mission in the demo was very tightly scripted. I didn't really like the artistical style either. It seemed primarily a console game.
Some hope still exists. The demo was really short and did not really include any base / team management, but I will be reading the reviews very closely before buying this.
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown
Posted: October 6th, 2012, 7:09 pm
by noname
Rotnefson wrote:A demo is available at steam. I have to say I'm disappointed. Too much holding hand, and the mission in the demo was very tightly scripted. I didn't really like the artistical style either. It seemed primarily a console game.
Some hope still exists. The demo was really short and did not really include any base / team management, but I will be reading the reviews very closely before buying this.
Thanks for your comments but what do you mean by "holding hand"? What about the artistical style don't you like? and finally what elements do you think makes it a console game? Just curious. Thanks.
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown
Posted: October 8th, 2012, 7:10 am
by Rotnefson
Well. The demo starts with a tutorial mission which basicly forces you to move and shoot exactly as instructed which is quite frustrating since you can't skip it. You can move moer freely in the second half of the demo. The art style is a bit too cartoonish to my taste, although that has been the case in all the Xcom games. The important part is the gameplay, which seems simplified. For an example, action points are gone and replaced with "move or shoot" type of choices, probably to appeal to younger generations and the console market. I also got the impression from the demo that soldier's personal inventory is gone. Like I said, it can still be a good game, just not based on the demo.
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown
Posted: October 8th, 2012, 8:50 am
by noname
Thanks Rotnefson, That sure sounds like a poor demo. I will hold off buying for now, thanks again.