Page 1 of 1

Game crashes on start

Posted: November 19th, 2007, 12:34 pm
by MaxEd
Some fellow member of Old-Games.ru community to whom I've introduced Eschalon reported the following bug with demo:

"Game is trying to create a folder "My Documents/Eschalon Book 1 Saved Games", but fails to do so in Russian version of Windows XP, because My Documents folder is called "Мои Документы" and game seemingly unable to handle it".

I myself do not have this bug, because I use english version of WinXP, but I think game will crash whenever "My Documents" folder's localized name contains unicode characters.

If you need any further info, ask away :)

BTW, hello from Russian Old-Skool RPG lovers, Eschalon rocks!

Posted: November 19th, 2007, 1:03 pm
by nanodust
Solution is really simple - just rename this folder.
How to: right click on "Moi Documenti" in explorer -> select "Properties" -> tab: Common -> put new name in sole textfield.
other programms should work fine too.

Posted: November 19th, 2007, 1:53 pm
by Del137
its dont fix savegames bug...

Posted: November 19th, 2007, 4:04 pm
by fatouch
You can not avoid this bug with renamed folder, since windows profile often have russian characters.

Just change path of my documents folder.
Right click on "My documents" -> Properties and change location of My documents folder to any other folder (without russian characters in path).

Posted: November 19th, 2007, 4:27 pm
by Del137
any1 solved problem with INGAME save/load?

PS Registry edit wont help...

Posted: November 20th, 2007, 7:44 am
by Del137
Well - creating slot1 slot2 ... slot slot10 folders inside C:\My Documents\Eschalon Book 1 Saved Games help me to load and save games

Game wont able to create itself - not sure why (my friend Zar said his game create folders itself o_O)

PS if anyone need archive with already created folders structure and sample save files - ask me (ICQ 190-959-207)

Posted: November 21st, 2007, 2:26 am
by mcsi
It is very disappointing, that user must change its usual (and default) path for all documents storage just for running the demo. After that, only hardcore gamers (like me) will search forums for the answers and continue to fight with the program. Others will simply remove it from the computer at once.

I think the best approach here is to let users change savegames path. In registry, INI-file, elsewhere..

Posted: November 21st, 2007, 12:31 pm
by MaxEd
As I understand, writing anywhere, but to "My Documents" would require additional permissions on Vista. I remember reading some MS document, "requirements for Vista-compatible games", which stated that game should only write to User's folder, but never to registry or own folder.