Page 1 of 1
What is the deal with nefarious damage?
Posted: November 17th, 2010, 5:26 pm
by Antigrav
This was an attack with a thrown weapon. As you can see, the base damage is 34. Adding 50% would give 51, before including the bonus damage of 2.
I believe a similar effect was reported sometime ago, but I am playing version 1.05.
Re: What is the deal with nefarious damage?
Posted: November 17th, 2010, 8:05 pm
by BasiliskWrangler
Looks like the roll is getting a x2.0 modifier instead of a x1.5 modifier. Unsure why this hasn't been caught before- but it could be that there is an additional bonus being applied that isn't showing up in the text window.
Re: What is the deal with nefarious damage?
Posted: November 18th, 2010, 3:21 am
by Antigrav
BasiliskWrangler wrote:Looks like the roll is getting a x2.0 modifier instead of a x1.5 modifier. Unsure why this hasn't been caught before- but it could be that there is an additional bonus being applied that isn't showing up in the text window.
Hm, maybe it was both a critical and nefarious hit? Do the two not stack? I will update if I can repeat this.
Re: What is the deal with nefarious damage?
Posted: November 18th, 2010, 7:17 am
by ManusDei
Antigrav wrote:
Hm, maybe it was both a critical and nefarious hit? Do the two not stack? I will update if I can repeat this.
That would have been written on screen.
Nefarious always did twice the damage for me, I thought that was the normal stuff.
Re: What is the deal with nefarious damage?
Posted: November 18th, 2010, 9:44 am
by Kreador Freeaxe
Were you also using your weapon feat? It looks like 1.5X for the Nefarious damage and 2X for something else, either a critical or a weapon feat. The latter wouldn't show up in the activity window.
Re: What is the deal with nefarious damage?
Posted: November 18th, 2010, 11:09 am
by Antigrav
Kreador Freeaxe wrote:Were you also using your weapon feat? It looks like 1.5X for the Nefarious damage and 2X for something else, either a critical or a weapon feat. The latter wouldn't show up in the activity window.
Nope, just a regular throw. I've had so few nefarious hits that I haven't had a good chance to check the damage. Either they're bugged or I also got a critical at the same time and they don't stack, and the nefarious damage text overrides the critical message.
Re: What is the deal with nefarious damage?
Posted: November 18th, 2010, 11:59 pm
by Evnissyen
Hmm... . I used a nefarious character once in Book I, but I don't remember exactly how many nefarious hits I got out of him. I seem to remember getting a good number of them... .
I do remember the Druidic trait being useful for hp regeneration when out and about in good ol' nature. The Atheistic trait was good for rarely not getting cursed . . . rarely being an operative word, here, however.
So if nefarious damage, in Book II, is applied only really rarely... how useful is it when compared with, say, the Druidic trait?
Are players who think that nefarious damage is going to be wicked helpful getting a raw deal, do you think?
Re: What is the deal with nefarious damage?
Posted: November 19th, 2010, 2:49 am
by ManusDei
Evnissyen wrote:
Are players who think that nefarious damage is going to be wicked helpful getting a raw deal, do you think?
If you play a mage or a cleric, not really. If you are a warrior, it's quite usefull (1 hit in 20 is double damage, sometimes you even get a critical hit at the same time).
Re: What is the deal with nefarious damage?
Posted: November 19th, 2010, 7:23 am
by Antigrav
Some more examples here.
Re: What is the deal with nefarious damage?
Posted: November 19th, 2010, 9:21 pm
by SpottedShroom
I'll bet you'd like nefarious damage to do 1.5x normal damage. I'll bet that would make you happy in your cozy little world. Well, I've got news for you: nefarious damage doesn't play by the rules. It will do as much damage as it wants, whenever it wants, to whoever it wants. If you can't handle it, maybe you should have gone with some safe, bland axiom that you can take home to meet your parents.
Re: What is the deal with nefarious damage?
Posted: November 20th, 2010, 1:19 pm
by Antigrav
SpottedShroom wrote:I'll bet you'd like nefarious damage to do 1.5x normal damage. I'll bet that would make you happy in your cozy little world. Well, I've got news for you: nefarious damage doesn't play by the rules. It will do as much damage as it wants, whenever it wants, to whoever it wants. If you can't handle it, maybe you should have gone with some safe, bland axiom that you can take home to meet your parents.
Ha!
Yes, my bonuses should be stable and round to the nearest wholesome number.
Re: What is the deal with nefarious damage?
Posted: November 23rd, 2010, 5:48 pm
by Evnissyen
Hey, with the right girl, even Nefarious Damage can change.
Re: What is the deal with nefarious damage?
Posted: December 11th, 2010, 6:45 am
by KillingMoon
Sorry for this delayed post, I'm not often visiting anymore.
I reported earlier the sometimes much higher Nefarious damage, here:
http://www.basiliskgames.com/forums/vie ... =12&t=3683
But there's a perhaps interesting difference in the calculation. If you look at the pictures closely, you see that in Antigrav's picture extra damage gets added after the initial calculation, and only in the Troll's suffered hitpoints the final total is properly reflected.
In my pictures already in the calculation the final total gets mentioned. I wouldn't know what causes that difference.
My version was much earlier, but it looks like BasiliskWrangler has never adjusted Nefarious. I would like to stress that I don't find that needed at all as well. It works like SpottedShroom mentioned, and that's fine. If anything needs to be changed, it is the Nefarious description. If in the description a 50% increase of damage is mentioned, and players are experiencing something quite different, then you can expect them going: 'What's up?'