Page 1 of 1
Heavy Armor: Where to train?
Posted: August 5th, 2010, 7:37 pm
by mph66
Is there an NPC who will train me in heavy armor? I'm playing a fighter who is still stuck with light armor at lev 12. Trying to avoid using skill points if possible. Have tons of gold, though.
Re: Heavy Armor: Where to train?
Posted: August 5th, 2010, 8:15 pm
by mph66
Gracias, amigo!
Re: Heavy Armor: Where to train?
Posted: August 5th, 2010, 9:58 pm
by Bob the Thief
There is a book that will give you some Heavy Armor levels. Forget what it's called.
Re: Heavy Armor: Where to train?
Posted: August 5th, 2010, 11:18 pm
by Painted Lady
It's called "A Soldier's Guide to Heavy Armour."
Re: Heavy Armor: Where to train?
Posted: August 6th, 2010, 11:58 am
by SpottedShroom
mph66 wrote:Is there an NPC who will train me in heavy armor? I'm playing a fighter who is still stuck with light armor at lev 12. Trying to avoid using skill points if possible. Have tons of gold, though.
Two other points:
Light armor isn't really any worse than heavy armor. You can get it in just as high an armor rating, and it weighs (and costs?) less.
Also, more than one level of an armor skill isn't all that helpful. More levels give you a higher chance to take half damage from attacks, but not enough of a chance to give you much protection.
Re: Heavy Armor: Where to train?
Posted: August 6th, 2010, 12:16 pm
by Kreador Freeaxe
Light armor does wear down a bit faster than heavy armor, but that's a fairly minor point overall.
Re: Heavy Armor: Where to train?
Posted: August 6th, 2010, 1:57 pm
by Painted Lady
Actually, I think wearing Heavy Armor is usually a mistake. It takes so much strength just to haul the stuff around, and it doesn't necessarily provide more protection than Light Armor does.
That said, there is one quest which is simplified if you can wear the heavy stuff....
Re: Heavy Armor: Where to train?
Posted: August 6th, 2010, 2:58 pm
by Randomizer
Heavy armor can give you slightly higher base armor, especially in the gauntlets and belt. Most of the other pieces are within 1 armor level. Wear from damage is usually slower.
Weight is the biggest concern especially when looting Hammerlorne. Now can I do it in 3 trips or 6?
Re: Heavy Armor: Where to train?
Posted: August 7th, 2010, 4:36 am
by Rowanas
I use light armour for my head, boots and torso, because there's no difference there. As randomizer says, gauntlets and belts are the only places where it really makes a difference.
Re: Heavy Armor: Where to train?
Posted: August 7th, 2010, 11:42 am
by IJBall
Rowanas wrote:I use light armour for my head, boots and torso, because there's no difference there. As randomizer says, gauntlets and belts are the only places where it really makes a difference.
Yeah, I'm sure some of us have some thoughts on how to "fix" Heavy Armor vs. Light Armor in Book III (I know I do!

) - because, right now, I generally agree that there is actually
no reason to go with Heavy Armor over Light Armor in Book I and esp. in Book II.