Page 1 of 1
Are Kiting Enemies and Bad AI a Game Design?
Posted: August 2nd, 2010, 3:35 pm
by LordFess
I was wondering if kiting enemies and using obstacles to take advantages of the bad AI is the norm through-out Eschalon book 1 and 2??? I feel like I have become the kiting king in this game more than any other game I have played before.
Re: Are Kiting Enemies and Bad AI a Game Design?
Posted: August 2nd, 2010, 4:15 pm
by xolotl
Hm. If your character is good at ranged attacks but not so good at melee, how else would you fight?
I've made runs through both Book 1 and Book 2 with characters who had absolutely no ranged attacks; they did fine...
Re: Are Kiting Enemies and Bad AI a Game Design?
Posted: August 2nd, 2010, 4:31 pm
by LordFess
I am playing a warrior and I feel like he is great fighting one maybe two enemys at the same time but when it gets to three at a time or more I run away and try to spread them out or find a nitche,fence,or door where I can fight them one at a time..... Goblins are my nemisis ATM....They seem to be very tough especially if they have some loot on them...... Is it my imagination or are the enemys that drop loot usually harder to kill????
Re: Are Kiting Enemies and Bad AI a Game Design?
Posted: August 2nd, 2010, 4:38 pm
by Kreador Freeaxe
LordFess wrote:I am playing a warrior and I feel like he is great fighting one maybe two enemys at the same time but when it gets to three at a time I run away and try to spread them out or find a nitche,fence,or door where I can fight them one at a time..... Goblins are my nemisis ATM....They seem to be very tough especially if they have some loot on them...... Is it my imagination or are the enemys that drop loot usually harder to kill????
It's your imagination for the most part, as most goblins drop loot randomly. That said, there are some with fixed loot, and they're generally beefed up.
As for the issue of fighting, that sounds about right. You SHOULD have trouble if enemies start to surround you. Eschalon requires you to use a lot of strategy and tactics in combat. It's pretty hard to just muscle your way through most of the time (though some have developed uber-builds for their characters who do just that). This is part of old-school game design.
Re: Are Kiting Enemies and Bad AI a Game Design?
Posted: August 2nd, 2010, 4:42 pm
by LordFess
@ kreador Freeaxe: Gratz on the 1K posts!!
Re: Are Kiting Enemies and Bad AI a Game Design?
Posted: August 2nd, 2010, 4:56 pm
by Kreador Freeaxe
LordFess wrote:@ kreador Freeaxe: Gratz on the 1K posts!!
Thanks. Some people just won't shut up, will I?

Re: Are Kiting Enemies and Bad AI a Game Design?
Posted: August 3rd, 2010, 10:06 am
by Evnissyen
Kreador Freeaxe wrote:Thanks. Some people just won't shut up, will I?

Like me, as well. I've said it again and again: Eschalon stands out from other games in that the gameplay is actually
challenging. No plowing through 100-500 enemies non-stop . . . Eschalon is much more interested in more
realistic gameplay.
(Turn-based strategy aside. The turn-based strategy is a throw-back, and a charming one at that, which has its merits. Lots of us love turn-based strategy. Chess is turn-based strategy.)