Page 1 of 1
Chest near farrock monolith
Posted: July 5th, 2010, 1:51 pm
by Mod.
I can see the chest, and there is a cracked rock in the way. A keg of black powder sits next to the cracked wall, but wont blast through. Ive just been ignoring that chest for a long time, but decided to ask if there is another way to it or not?
Re: Chest near farrock monolith
Posted: July 5th, 2010, 2:00 pm
by Kreador Freeaxe
Mod. wrote:I can see the chest, and there is a cracked rock in the way. A keg of black powder sits next to the cracked wall, but wont blast through. Ive just been ignoring that chest for a long time, but decided to ask if there is another way to it or not?
ONE keg of powder only removes ONE cracked section. So, since you can pick up and move powder kegs in Book II, you should be able to work out the rest.

Re: Chest near farrock monolith
Posted: July 5th, 2010, 9:43 pm
by Randomizer
Getting to that chest isn't for the weak.
Re: Chest near farrock monolith
Posted: July 6th, 2010, 1:04 pm
by SpottedShroom
And the payoff is rather disappointing, if you ask me :(
Re: Chest near farrock monolith
Posted: July 6th, 2010, 3:09 pm
by tungprc
If you're a thrown weapons specialist, it might be well worth it. Otherwise, I agree with Shroom. It's not worth the time of dragging 3-4 kegs to the site. I always wait till I can cast Ogre Strenght at Level VI and do it anyway though.
Re: Chest near farrock monolith
Posted: July 7th, 2010, 9:43 pm
by SpottedShroom
tungprc wrote:If you're a thrown weapons specialist, it might be well worth it.
And if you're a thrown weapon specialist, you're a bit of a masochist anyway.
Re: Chest near farrock monolith
Posted: July 8th, 2010, 8:41 am
by sirdilznik
Just getting to the chest is payoff in itself. My character lost a solid 10 lbs. of fat with all the work he had to do to get to the chest. Now the love handles are gone and he's got those six-pack abs. The ladies can't keep their hands off him. It's cheaper than signing up for a gym membership in Port Kuudad or ordering an Eschalonflex for 3 easy payments of 49.95 gold pieces.

Re: Chest near farrock monolith
Posted: July 8th, 2010, 9:56 am
by Painted Lady
Speaking of Thrown Weapons - has anyone played with them as your main form of weaponry? How did that work for you?
I expect eventually to play with every possible weapon, but I'm kind of curious about the TW option.
Also, I was interested to notice that when I looked at a pre-made Ranger, his default skill was Bow Weapons, but when I decided to make my own Nefarious Ranger his default skill was Cleaving Weapons. Having something solid to pound with actually helped me get through the first couple of levels while I was building up my bow abilities....
Re: Chest near farrock monolith
Posted: July 8th, 2010, 10:15 am
by Kreador Freeaxe
I made a note when I first played about Nefarious Rangers getting cleaving instead of bow (and if you're a virtuous ranger, you get Divination). It is helpful, but it ruins your hopes of making the True Ranger challenge, I think, since it seems that, no matter where you end up in the percentage of kills by bow, if at any point you have less than 80%, the challenge is marked failed and you can't get it back.
Now I have a couple characters I'm trying out as builds using unarmed combat and thrown weapons. I think BW fixed some stuff with the thrown weapons feat in 1.04, so I'm probably going to wait and try it again when that's fully released, as the feat did not seem to do what I thought it would do when I tried it (I always lost two thrown weapons, but only one of them ever rolled to hit my target, and only once did a third go and hit one of the adjacent targets). I kept dragging the Outlanders around to bunch them up and volley them, but it never seemed to work properly. A nice Fury Fist to the face of each one is satisfying, though.

Re: Chest near farrock monolith
Posted: July 8th, 2010, 2:38 pm
by KillingMoon
Painted Lady wrote:Speaking of Thrown Weapons - has anyone played with them as your main form of weaponry? How did that work for you?
In one of my first runs I created a character that had both Piercing Weapons and Thrown Weapons. My idea was to soften up opponants with the throwing feat, then finishing off with the piercing feat.
It wasn't a success. Even when only using projectiles when the weapon feat was available I quickly ran out things to throw, so I ended up with a skill I couldn't use at all.
I don't think I was lucky with what got generated at the shops in that run, but I still wouldn't try it again. Even when I still had stones, darts and spears to throw the damage they did was small. A simple arrow does more damage than an expensive spear, I'm afraid. Hopefully this skill will get a boost, so that also non-masochists can play a stone thrower!
Re: Chest near farrock monolith
Posted: July 8th, 2010, 7:48 pm
by SpottedShroom
KillingMoon wrote:Hopefully this skill will get a boost, so that also non-masochists can play a stone thrower!
It makes sense, really. You know how you can see into the house where you start from above? Well, people who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.