Game restrictions for xtra xp...

Here's where all things related to Book II are being discussed!
Post Reply
User avatar
Evnissyen
Captain
Captain
Posts: 1078
Joined: July 7th, 2008, 12:28 pm
Location: Elizabeth Warren Land
Contact:

Game restrictions for xtra xp...

Post by Evnissyen »

So... of course i chose the "predetermined" seed option, since I was one of the people arguing for its adaptation for Book 2 in first place, way back like two years ago when I first came to these forums... so it was nice to see it in there the very day I originally installed it.

Well... I didn't think it would be considered a "challenge" aspect . . . seems a little odd to me but I suppose in a way it makes sense... .

Well, anyhow: here's what I wish the game had done with the "challenge" choice that directly precedes the one I just mentioned, the one which reads: "A game cannot be saved or loaded while your character is diseased, cursed, poisoned, critically injured or with enemies nearby."

Now... it seems to me that this is actually two challenges combined into one options, so I think, therefore, that this option should've been split up into two.

I mean, it's like this: to me It makes total sense to choose an option that states that I cannot save a game or reload a game while there're enemies nearby and trying to get at me and turn me into their special plaything. I would've chosen such a 'challenge', too, if it were available independently -- that's to say, if it weren't for that other not-so-little stipulation about not being able to reload or save while diseased, poisoned, etc. ...because if you throw that in there as well: for me, that's sort of the deal-breaker.

My character's an atheist so he isn't afffected by hogwash like 'curses' -- all in the head, man, all in the head -- but he still gets poisoned and diseased, of course, and critically maimed in all sorts of fun and nasty ways.

(And to add insult to injury, so to speak: this option gets you the same amount of extra XP as choosing to use the predetermined seed does.)

Something to put into a patch, BW? Maybe? Possibly? Think about it?
Certainty: a character-driven, literary, turn-based mini-CRPG in which Vasek, legendary "Wandering Philosopher", seeks certainties in a cryptically insular, organic, critically layered city.
User avatar
Gorgon Rider
Marshall
Posts: 100
Joined: May 26th, 2010, 1:42 pm
Location: Surrey, B.C., Canada

Re: Game restrictions for xtra xp...

Post by Gorgon Rider »

What's the problem with it? I know you've stated it's a deal breaker for you, but you haven't outlined why.
User avatar
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General
Posts: 2469
Joined: April 26th, 2008, 4:44 pm

Re: Game restrictions for xtra xp...

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

I've never had a problem with poison or disease. I always make sure I have at least one Detox and one Cure Disease potion on hand (available regularly from the first magic shop). Especially as a Ranger, poison is almost never an issue. Both are most likely to be the result of a trap more than anything else. Maybe for a melee character it could be an issue, as rats can give you disease and spiders can poison you. For a Ranger or a Mage, no problem at all.
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
User avatar
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate
Posts: 1473
Joined: November 29th, 2007, 1:11 pm

Re: Game restrictions for xtra xp...

Post by CrazyBernie »

Evnissyen wrote:So... of course i chose the "predetermined" seed option, since I was one of the people arguing for its adaptation for Book 2 in first place, way back like two years ago when I first came to these forums... so it was nice to see it in there the very day I originally installed it.

Well... I didn't think it would be considered a "challenge" aspect . . . seems a little odd to me but I suppose in a way it makes sense... .

Well, anyhow: here's what I wish the game had done with the "challenge" choice that directly precedes the one I just mentioned, the one which reads: "A game cannot be saved or loaded while your character is diseased, cursed, poisoned, critically injured or with enemies nearby."

Now... it seems to me that this is actually two challenges combined into one options, so I think, therefore, that this option should've been split up into two.

I mean, it's like this: to me It makes total sense to choose an option that states that I cannot save a game or reload a game while there're enemies nearby and trying to get at me and turn me into their special plaything. I would've chosen such a 'challenge', too, if it were available independently -- that's to say, if it weren't for that other not-so-little stipulation about not being able to reload or save while diseased, poisoned, etc. ...because if you throw that in there as well: for me, that's sort of the deal-breaker.

My character's an atheist so he isn't afffected by hogwash like 'curses' -- all in the head, man, all in the head -- but he still gets poisoned and diseased, of course, and critically maimed in all sorts of fun and nasty ways.

(And to add insult to injury, so to speak: this option gets you the same amount of extra XP as choosing to use the predetermined seed does.)

Something to put into a patch, BW? Maybe? Possibly? Think about it?
You can still reload, so the "no reload" is more of soemthing to annoy you into not reloading than it is as an actual deterrent. Plus, you don't get extra experience points unless you enable ALL of the challenges.
User avatar
Evnissyen
Captain
Captain
Posts: 1078
Joined: July 7th, 2008, 12:28 pm
Location: Elizabeth Warren Land
Contact:

Re: Game restrictions for xtra xp...

Post by Evnissyen »

Gorgon Rider:
I don't know, I sort of have these visions of my character crawling desperately back through a dungeon unable to quicktravel, weakened and slowed by 3 different diseases plus venom, having to drop valuable items on the way in order to be able to move (and thus those objects are "lost forever"), pursued by an ever growing mob, and then in front of them a couple new foes ready to block his path... .

And even if he manages to get to town: 1. the local priest can't help him because he's a non-believer, and 2. there's no potion available at the moment ("Sorry, check the next town" . . . thus more endless walking, and naturally I die before I get there) or else you don't have enough coins to pay for it at the moment, even after selling the two lockpicks he'd found himself still strong enough to carry.

Hey, you think it can't happen to you? :|

And sure, Kreador of course he can carry a potion or two of cure disease and one or two cure venom disease potions, but those potions are expensive at early levels... .

Also, Kreador: Well, even rangers tend to get swarmed from time to time -- actually, make that often -- and at first level a ranger isn't going to have enough bow skill to hit the target often enough to keep them all at bay. (There's not always infinite space to run, of course, Thus: at low levels, rangers will still get diseased and poisoned, on occasion.

(So I sound hysterical enough? Should I crank the dial a bit? ) :)
Certainty: a character-driven, literary, turn-based mini-CRPG in which Vasek, legendary "Wandering Philosopher", seeks certainties in a cryptically insular, organic, critically layered city.
User avatar
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General
Posts: 2469
Joined: April 26th, 2008, 4:44 pm

Re: Game restrictions for xtra xp...

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

You just need to practice the art of retreat better. My ranger never got poisoned or diseased. Of course, I never minded walking back and forth and back and forth over and over to pick off individual creatures and pull them away from their packs.
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
User avatar
Evnissyen
Captain
Captain
Posts: 1078
Joined: July 7th, 2008, 12:28 pm
Location: Elizabeth Warren Land
Contact:

Re: Game restrictions for xtra xp...

Post by Evnissyen »

Ah, never had the temperament for effective retreat.

...Hurts my pride.
Certainty: a character-driven, literary, turn-based mini-CRPG in which Vasek, legendary "Wandering Philosopher", seeks certainties in a cryptically insular, organic, critically layered city.
User avatar
MyGameCompany
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Posts: 524
Joined: September 22nd, 2009, 7:56 pm
Location: Michigan

Re: Game restrictions for xtra xp...

Post by MyGameCompany »

But you're willing to crawl back to town on hands and knees? haha
Troy
Former indie game developer
Check out my Book III mods: The Mystery of Rockhammer Mine and Expedition into West Mirkland
User avatar
Evnissyen
Captain
Captain
Posts: 1078
Joined: July 7th, 2008, 12:28 pm
Location: Elizabeth Warren Land
Contact:

Re: Game restrictions for xtra xp...

Post by Evnissyen »

No, no, no, I didn't want to crawl back to town on hands & knees, I wanted to call up the reload gods in some situations and not in other situations. I wanted a world that bends to my every whim.
Certainty: a character-driven, literary, turn-based mini-CRPG in which Vasek, legendary "Wandering Philosopher", seeks certainties in a cryptically insular, organic, critically layered city.
Post Reply