Page 1 of 1
Need more flasks
Posted: June 20th, 2010, 7:10 pm
by Turtle
The biggest obstacle to playing the Alchemist challenge is: not enough flasks. You'd think there'd be a wholesale distributor somewhere, but you only occasionally see one or two in a shop.
It's bad enough if you just want to make potions to consume, but worse if you want to be a Mad Firebomber since you obviously can't recycle those.
I even tried drinking a found mana potion just to get the empty flask, but it turns out you can't do that.
On a completely unrelated note, I think it's hilarious that I can't parry with my bare hands, but I can if I'm holding a rock.
Crazy Bernie, I look forward to your depiction of our brave hero fending off maces, arrows and spider fangs with his trusty chunk of chert. White knuckles, for sure.
Re: Need more flasks
Posted: June 20th, 2010, 7:46 pm
by SpottedShroom
Turtle wrote:
I even tried drinking a found mana potion just to get the empty flask, but it turns out you can't do that.
Really? I've always used found potions as my source of flasks. Was it unidentified, maybe?
On a separate note, it's kind of unfortunate you can't drink unidentified potions or use unidentified gear. I know letting people do it would encourage metagaming, since it can be easy to identify items by their icon once you've played for a while.
For potions at least, rendering unknown ones as a random color but still allowing them to be used might be interesting. Especially if it doesn't tell you what the effect is!
Re: Need more flasks
Posted: June 20th, 2010, 7:55 pm
by IJBall
Turtle wrote:The biggest obstacle to playing the Alchemist challenge is: not enough flasks. You'd think there'd be a wholesale distributor somewhere, but you only occasionally see one or two in a shop.
I agree - another small modification I'd like to see to Book II for v1.04 is an increase in the sale of Empty Flasks.
I think, 1) the number of Empty Flasks on sale at any one time should be bumped up (right now, it seems like it's usually 2-5 on sale at a time - something 3-10 would better...), and 2) Empty Flasks should
always be on sale in a couple of the shops (i.e. they should be a "set" sales items in a couple of the potions places).
But I do think there's a relative scarcity of Empty Flasks, as well as merchant cash-on-hand, in Book II currently...
Re: Need more flasks
Posted: June 21st, 2010, 12:17 am
by Gorgon Rider
Jedi_Learner wrote:SpottedShroom wrote:Really? I've always used found potions as my source of flasks. Was it unidentified, maybe?
Perhaps his character didn't use mana? You can't drink a mana potion if you are full on mana.
That would be exactly it. The Alchemist challenge means you can never cast a magic spell, so you'll never need to (or be able to) use a mana potion.
(Actually, if you equipped an item that adds mana, you could drink a potion to top your mana up, but that's rather a roundabout way to get an empty flask).
Re: Need more flasks
Posted: June 21st, 2010, 7:30 am
by Turtle
Well, if I happen to run across one of those pendants I might hang onto it for the purpose, but it wouldn't be worth paying the shop price for it.