Page 1 of 1
Identify items
Posted: June 9th, 2010, 6:31 pm
by everyjunk
How do I identify items? I just started and I am in Eastwillow. I have a bunch of unknown items that I would like to use but can't. Do I have to sell it and buy it back to get it identified?
Thanks
Re: Identify items
Posted: June 9th, 2010, 6:37 pm
by Kreador Freeaxe
When in the sales screen with a merchant you can right-click on an item in your inventory and if it's unidentified, the merchant will offer to tell you what it is for half of the item's value (or less, I believe, if you have mercantile skill).
Re: Identify items
Posted: June 9th, 2010, 7:34 pm
by Dragonlady
Kreador Freeaxe wrote:When in the sales screen with a merchant you can right-click on an item in your inventory and if it's unidentified, the merchant will offer to tell you what it is for half of the item's value (or less, I believe, if you have mercantile skill).
True, and if you have more than one item (like pile of arrows), only one is identified and the rest are freebie id'd. So you can use them or sell them and recoup your fee.
Re: Identify items
Posted: June 9th, 2010, 7:39 pm
by Gorgon Rider
One feature I really like is if you have a stackable item in your inventory and you find others that aren't IDed, when you pick them up, they go right into the stack and are automatically IDed for you. I hate the mechanic where you can't identify an item you already have and are using.
Of course, it doesn't make sense that you can't ID said item right in the container, but it's still a far better mechanic than having it sit unidentified when you have the exact same item in your inventory already. Now, if only that worked for unstackables as well...
Re: Identify items
Posted: June 9th, 2010, 7:48 pm
by CrazyBernie
Gorgon Rider wrote:
Of course, it doesn't make sense that you can't ID said item right in the container, but it's still a far better mechanic than having it sit unidentified when you have the exact same item in your inventory already. Now, if only that worked for unstackables as well...
It does work with unstackables. It's called "Comparison ID'ing"
Re: Identify items
Posted: June 9th, 2010, 8:00 pm
by Gorgon Rider
Yes, and I as the player know what most of those unidentified items are. But my character still has to either pay to have them IDed or cast the Lore spell to figure it out.

Re: Identify items
Posted: June 9th, 2010, 10:23 pm
by everyjunk
lol I'm retarded. Thanks!
Re: Identify items
Posted: June 10th, 2010, 7:28 am
by KillingMoon
Does anyone know how the price for identifying an item gets established?
I believe I have an unidentified piece of armour in my current game, then I saw at a shop an exactly similiar looking piece of armour with exactly the same weight as well.
I believe the item would have cost me something like 1400 gold to buy, but over 2000 gold to have my own armour identified. Can that be right, or would that mean my item would have different properties?
I can always enter my current game and see if I can verify what I'm saying here from memory, because already for half a game or so I'm walking around with this unidentified piece of armour. I'm considering buying a Lore scroll to help me find out what it is.
To Everyjunk; Intelligence helps to identify things, and Lore. There is a Lore scroll in the game, and also some items boost your Lore skill (that is, I at least know of one item that boosts your Lore).
Re: Identify items
Posted: June 10th, 2010, 8:51 am
by Kreador Freeaxe
KillingMoon wrote:Does anyone know how the price for identifying an item gets established?
I believe I have an unidentified piece of armour in my current game, then I saw at a shop an exactly similiar looking piece of armour with exactly the same weight as well.
I believe the item would have cost me something like 1400 gold to buy, but over 2000 gold to have my own armour identified. Can that be right, or would that mean my item would have different properties?
I can always enter my current game and see if I can verify what I'm saying here from memory, because already for half a game or so I'm walking around with this unidentified piece of armour. I'm considering buying a Lore scroll to help me find out what it is.
To Everyjunk; Intelligence helps to identify things, and Lore. There is a Lore scroll in the game, and also some items boost your Lore skill (that is, I at least know of one item that boosts your Lore).
It always costs 1/2 of the item's value to identify it, so the piece of armor you have is considerably more valuable than the one you saw in the shop, despite having a very similar picture. Does it have a flashing colored border, which would indicate that it carries an enchantment?
Re: Identify items
Posted: June 10th, 2010, 10:38 am
by KillingMoon
Mwah, my memory is mixing up things. I thought I had a piece of armour of 4 lb and a bit, costing 2100 gold to identify, but it's a piece of armour of 21 lb, costing 400 gold to identify.
And I'm not seeing anything similar at a blacksmith just now.
But it's good to know it always costs halve the value of something to have it identified. I thought it might become cheaper the closer you come to identify it on your own. Thanks for the answer, Kreador Freeaxe.