Page 1 of 1
skill point in elemental / divination for a wizard
Posted: June 9th, 2010, 2:31 pm
by colear
hello,
I'm new to Eschalon, and search to optimize my skills points. So my question is : is there any need to attribute more than 11 points in elemental / divination ?
Thanks,
colear
Re: skill point in elemental / divination for a wizard
Posted: June 9th, 2010, 2:40 pm
by Kreador Freeaxe
If you want to be able to cast the third tier spells at their highest levels, yes. 11 allows you to cast Tier 1 spells at level 6, but Tier 2 only at level 3, and Tier 3 only at level 2, I believe (just now doing my first run as a mage in Book II, so I haven't gotten to Tier 3 spells yet).
Re: skill point in elemental / divination for a wizard
Posted: June 9th, 2010, 2:43 pm
by lady dorian
Yes, there is. You may you use in the middle of the game some important spells when fighting against enemies. And when you want to cast them on a high level you will need an elemental skill of at least 17 (or 20, the highest).
*edit*
I missed the part about 'tier 1,2 or 3 spells'. Do you need a higher level of a skill when you cast a tier 3 spell , or is it only about the need of 'intelligence' and 'wisdom' to learn them?
Re: skill point in elemental / divination for a wizard
Posted: June 9th, 2010, 2:54 pm
by IJBall
Kreador Freeaxe wrote:If you want to be able to cast the third tier spells at their highest levels, yes. 11 allows you to cast Tier 1 spells at level 6, but Tier 2 only at level 3, and Tier 3 only at level 2, I believe...
If Book II is like Book I, Level 11 in a Magick skill only allows you to cast a Tier 3 spell at Level
1 not Level 2.
Re: skill point in elemental / divination for a wizard
Posted: June 9th, 2010, 2:56 pm
by SpottedShroom
Your stat - Intelligence or Wisdom - determines what tier spells you can learn, and also how many total spells you can learn.
Your casting skill determines what level you can cast a spell at. I don't remember the total needed to cast tier 3 spells at level 6, but it's substantially higher than 11. After you can cast the best spells at the highest level, though, boosting casting skill doesn't do anything.
Re: skill point in elemental / divination for a wizard
Posted: June 9th, 2010, 3:03 pm
by IJBall
SpottedShroom wrote:Your stat - Intelligence or Wisdom - determines what tier spells you can learn, and also how many total spells you can learn.
About this last issue - does anyone know the details on how the INT/WIS number limits "how many spells you can learn"?!
I've just run into this issue for the first time in Book II - I have high enough WIS to read Tier 2 spells, so I read maybe half a dozen of them, but when I tried to read a 7th(roughly) spell scroll it told me that "My mind was full" and that "I need higher WIS" to be able to read any more spells!
So, has anyone figured out the "formula" for that yet?!
SpottedShroom wrote:Your casting skill determines what level you can cast a spell at. I don't remember the total needed to cast tier 3 spells at level 6, but it's substantially higher than 11. After you can cast the best spells at the highest level, though, boosting casting skill doesn't do anything.
If Book II is like Book I, the "max" you need is a Magick at Level 31 - Level 31 allows you to cast a Tier 3 spell at Level 6.
Re: skill point in elemental / divination for a wizard
Posted: June 9th, 2010, 3:09 pm
by silverkitty
Max # of spells is int/2 (or wis/2 for divination).
Re: skill point in elemental / divination for a wizard
Posted: June 9th, 2010, 3:24 pm
by IJBall
silverkitty wrote:Max # of spells is int/2 (or wis/2 for divination).
That was fast! Thanks!
(P.S. Is that INT/WIS
with bonuses applied, or
without?...)
Re: skill point in elemental / divination for a wizard
Posted: June 9th, 2010, 3:41 pm
by colear
Thanks for your help !
Re: skill point in elemental / divination for a wizard
Posted: June 9th, 2010, 3:42 pm
by Gorgon Rider
With. So if you find a ring or other item that boosts the stat, it will allow you to learn more spells.
Re: skill point in elemental / divination for a wizard
Posted: June 9th, 2010, 4:04 pm
by lady dorian
SpottedShroom wrote:Your stat - Intelligence or Wisdom - determines what tier spells you can learn, and also how many total spells you can learn.
Your casting skill determines what level you can cast a spell at. I don't remember the total needed to cast tier 3 spells at level 6, but it's substantially higher than 11. After you can cast the best spells at the highest level, though, boosting casting skill doesn't do anything.
Thanks for the answer!
Re: skill point in elemental / divination for a wizard
Posted: June 9th, 2010, 4:09 pm
by lady dorian
Gorgon Rider wrote:With. So if you find a ring or other item that boosts the stat, it will allow you to learn more spells.
Haha, yes, that's what I do!

If I want to learn a spell and it said that I need a level of 20 WIS to learn it, I only have to use the right hat & amulet, et voila, it works!
