Page 1 of 1
Cleric's Problem...
Posted: June 6th, 2010, 3:24 am
by MaximB
As you probably know I've started Book2 as a Cleric, everything goes well so far - I have a good balance between a warrior and a mage to boost my skills but I have a very annoying problem...
If I wear gloves or shield I cannot cast spells during battle, and it doesn't matter how much straight I have, it seems like I always miss many point to cast those spells (I have about 27 right now...).
One thing would be to cast Ogre's Straight all the time, because wasting 2/4 turns to remove the shield and gloves and wear them again is a waste.
I never actually met this "Cleric's Law" before and it really drives me nuts...
Any suggestions ?
Re: Cleric's Problem...
Posted: June 6th, 2010, 4:11 am
by silverkitty
Use really light gloves and no shield?
You don't really need the extra armor points that badly, because, unlike a straight up melee fighter, your opponents are often dead before they can hit you (or before they can hit you enough that you can't just Divine Heal it away)
Also: you may have figured this out, but eventually you might as well take advantage of your awesome mana and get a few levels of elemental as well (I played up to 31 elemental, 11 divination; but I bet the game goes well if you do the converse)
Re: Cleric's Problem...
Posted: June 6th, 2010, 4:44 am
by Randomizer
Ogre strength is the easiest way to do it, but you don't need much besides perception and wisdom, so after you get them then increase strength and get mighty rings. Eventually you can cast without ogre strength.
Re: Cleric's Problem...
Posted: June 6th, 2010, 5:03 am
by MaximB
Randomizer wrote:Ogre strength is the easiest way to do it, but you don't need much besides perception and wisdom, so after you get them then increase strength and get mighty rings. Eventually you can cast without ogre strength.
To what state should I increase Wisdom and perception ? (I was increasing dexterity instead because it also gives armor bonus, and I suspect that the To-Hit bonus is bigger).
Re: Cleric's Problem...
Posted: June 6th, 2010, 5:20 am
by silverkitty
I believe you need a wisdom of 25 to learn third tier cleric spells.
Perception increases mana regeneration - the more the merrier if you cast spells a lot (especially if you rely on them to do damage)
Dexterity raising to-hit matters if you smash things a lot, but Fleshboil and Mystic Hammer (and other attack spells) never miss, so maybe Dexterity doesn't matter - depends on your style of Cleric.
Strength increases the ability to have weight on your hands while casting, incidentally.
Re: Cleric's Problem...
Posted: June 6th, 2010, 6:47 am
by MaximB
silverkitty wrote:I believe you need a wisdom of 25 to learn third tier cleric spells.
Perception increases mana regeneration - the more the merrier if you cast spells a lot (especially if you rely on them to do damage)
Dexterity raising to-hit matters if you smash things a lot, but Fleshboil and Mystic Hammer (and other attack spells) never miss, so maybe Dexterity doesn't matter - depends on your style of Cleric.
Strength increases the ability to have weight on your hands while casting, incidentally.
"My" Cleric style of playing is killing enemies with hand-to-hand combat (maces) and boosting my abilities with spells a lot.
I rarely try to cast damaging spells on monsters because I do not have enough mana and the damage isn't that high (compare to the mana cost).
So I need dexterity to hit stuff.
Re: Cleric's Problem...
Posted: June 6th, 2010, 9:58 am
by carrotghoul
So you're still playing a fighter.why do you need a shield anyway?Shields are always very heavy.You really don't need a shield,as the divinity buffs are powerful enough to protect you. My fighter's doing very fine without a shield.Just cast bless,leather skin and chameleon,and few can hit you.
and you can set empty hand to the 2nd mode,switch only take one turn,before you find those named weapons.(They're very light:)
Re: Cleric's Problem...
Posted: June 6th, 2010, 11:11 am
by MaximB
carrotghoul wrote:So you're still playing a fighter.why do you need a shield anyway?Shields are always very heavy.You really don't need a shield,as the divinity buffs are powerful enough to protect you. My fighter's doing very fine without a shield.Just cast bless,leather skin and chameleon,and few can hit you.
and you can set empty hand to the 2nd mode,switch only take one turn,before you find those named weapons.(They're very light:)
What do you mean "set empty hand to the 2nd mode" ?
Also I've been to all towns I've managed to find (the Dwarfs town was the latest) and I couldn't yet find light weapons of high quality and damage.
Re: Cleric's Problem...
Posted: June 6th, 2010, 12:49 pm
by Kreador Freeaxe
Increasing Concentration will also improve your ability to cast spells while carrying. I never had a problem with my Ranger casting while carrying, with only a strength of 20, but Concentration (with equipment bonuses) of 50.

Re: Cleric's Problem...
Posted: June 6th, 2010, 3:35 pm
by CrazyBernie
Concentration will also improve your ToHit... it's a great stat for Rangers and melee Healers.