translation issues
Posted: May 29th, 2010, 5:56 am
Hi. I'm working on translation of Book2 into Russian. I think I'm doing fine, but there is one technical problem I don't like at all.
I was testing if cyrillic text can be properly displayed in the game, so I did some tests and here is what I have found. While all "static" text (in books, notes and within the information text area) is being properly displayed, there is a problem with NPC conversation dialog texts. When I somehow change the text within files like "darus.txt" (and I change conversation text only), the game does not work as it should. I don't even use cyrilic now. I just add or remove a word or two from a conversation lines (in the middle of the sentences to make sure I don't delete some important symbols such as EOL), and the game reacts like this:
1. NPC does not respond to mouse clicks at all, the conversation does not start
2. Conversation starts, but the lines I have changed are missing
3. The game crashes when I mouse click on NPC in order to start conversation.
I am a little worried about all this, since I don't want to do all this work only to find later that it is impossible to implement russian text into the game.
Can please someone tell me this is a solvable matter and I don't need to worry about this?
I was testing if cyrillic text can be properly displayed in the game, so I did some tests and here is what I have found. While all "static" text (in books, notes and within the information text area) is being properly displayed, there is a problem with NPC conversation dialog texts. When I somehow change the text within files like "darus.txt" (and I change conversation text only), the game does not work as it should. I don't even use cyrilic now. I just add or remove a word or two from a conversation lines (in the middle of the sentences to make sure I don't delete some important symbols such as EOL), and the game reacts like this:
1. NPC does not respond to mouse clicks at all, the conversation does not start
2. Conversation starts, but the lines I have changed are missing
3. The game crashes when I mouse click on NPC in order to start conversation.
I am a little worried about all this, since I don't want to do all this work only to find later that it is impossible to implement russian text into the game.
Can please someone tell me this is a solvable matter and I don't need to worry about this?