Page 1 of 2
Book II CD or DVD
Posted: March 1st, 2010, 9:27 pm
by King_ov_Death
We know there will be two different book II releases: a digital download and a physical edition.
Well, my question is:
What extra features will it have?
Taking into account the extras in Book I's CD, I'll bet it will be the following:
- Hi-res map of Eschalon (I think BW confirmed it).
- Book II teaser.
- Installation executable/s (I doubt if all three will be included, because then BW will have to use DVDs).
- Some screens showing the evolution of Book II (I loved that in Book I's CD).
- An extended version of the title track.
Am I right?
What do you think the CD/DVD edition will have?
Re: Book II CD or DVD
Posted: March 2nd, 2010, 11:30 am
by Nevermore
An artwork book, limited edition DLC, soundtrack and developers interview on making process.
Re: Book II CD or DVD
Posted: March 4th, 2010, 1:43 am
by Evnissyen
Do I remember reading that the CD will contain the Mac version, PC version and Linux version all together, so we don't have to get a new copy if we switch computers? Or am I mistaken?
Re: Book II CD or DVD
Posted: March 4th, 2010, 9:04 pm
by CrazyBernie
Evnissyen wrote:Do I remember reading that the CD will contain the Mac version, PC version and Linux version all together, so we don't have to get a new copy if we switch computers? Or am I mistaken?
You sir, are correct.
If you look at the size of Book I and consider the fact that Book II is running on a modified engine... I wouldn't expect the game to be much bigger. Even if it were say... 100% larger... my Book I install dir is 120mb... so that would be 240mb... after compression there's no reason all three installs wouldn't fit on a single CD with room to spare for the manual, map, and whatever else.
Re: Book II CD or DVD
Posted: March 4th, 2010, 9:30 pm
by King_ov_Death
CrazyBernie wrote:Evnissyen wrote:Do I remember reading that the CD will contain the Mac version, PC version and Linux version all together, so we don't have to get a new copy if we switch computers? Or am I mistaken?
You sir, are correct.
If you look at the size of Book I and consider the fact that Book II is running on a modified engine... I wouldn't expect the game to be much bigger. Even if it were say... 100% larger... my Book I install dir is 120mb... so that would be 240mb... after compression there's no reason all three installs wouldn't fit on a single CD with room to spare for the manual, map, and whatever else.
I thought all three versions wouldn't fit inside a CD...

Re: Book II CD or DVD
Posted: March 8th, 2010, 9:17 am
by AstralWanderer
CrazyBernie wrote:... after compression there's no reason all three installs wouldn't fit on a single CD with room to spare for the manual, map, and whatever else.
A cross-version installer should only need copies of the executables for the different OSes (data and documentation could be shared). Since the program itself is under 2MB for Windows, the disc space required for a triple-install (Win/Mac/Linux) should be under 30-40MB, even assuming book 2's executable was 3-4 times the size of book 1.
Re: Book II CD or DVD
Posted: March 8th, 2010, 1:11 pm
by King_ov_Death
AstralWanderer wrote:CrazyBernie wrote:... after compression there's no reason all three installs wouldn't fit on a single CD with room to spare for the manual, map, and whatever else.
A cross-version installer should only need copies of the executables for the different OSes (data and documentation could be shared). Since the program itself is under 2MB for Windows, the disc space required for a triple-install (Win/Mac/Linux) should be under 30-40MB, even assuming book 2's executable was 3-4 times the size of book 1.
Wow! I didn't think about that. It's a pretty good idea AW!

Re: Book II CD or DVD
Posted: March 10th, 2010, 11:36 pm
by Iane
Speaking of the CD Version will the options for the purchase of Book II be the same as Book I - if my memory serves me correctly you had 2 purchase options
1) Digital Download only
2) CD version with Digital Download until CD was shipped.
will it be the same ?
Re: Book II CD or DVD
Posted: March 11th, 2010, 11:15 am
by King_ov_Death
Iane wrote:Speaking of the CD Version will the options for the purchase of Book II be the same as Book I - if my memory serves me correctly you had 2 purchase options
1) Digital Download only
2) CD version with Digital Download until CD was shipped.
will it be the same ?
Yes.
Take a look
here.
Re: Book II CD or DVD
Posted: March 11th, 2010, 12:26 pm
by BasiliskWrangler
Book II is going to be distributed a bit differently from Book I. We are going a more traditional shareware route, like Spiderweb Software. Instead of having a separate demo and full version, you will just download the demo which can be unlocked into the full version using a registration number. When you purchase the game, Plimus (or Share*it) will send you a Registration code via email to unlock the game.
When you buy the CD version, you'll still get a Registration number. You can download the demo and unlock it to play the full game immediately, or you can wait for your CD to arrive. The CD will still require your Registration number, so be sure to hang on to your receipt email, because the CD will not have the Reg number printed on the case.
Re: Book II CD or DVD
Posted: April 6th, 2010, 10:48 am
by AstralWanderer
BasiliskWrangler wrote:...When you purchase the game, Plimus (or Share*it) will...
Does this mean that Book II won't be made available via BTMicro? This would be a great pity since Plimus
stopped me from purchasing Book I and Share*it (part of Digital River) have given me problems several times in the past (alleging that my valid credit card "could not be processed").
Re: Book II CD or DVD
Posted: April 6th, 2010, 11:01 am
by BasiliskWrangler
AstralWanderer wrote:BasiliskWrangler wrote:...When you purchase the game, Plimus (or Share*it) will...
Does this mean that Book II won't be made available via BTMicro? This would be a great pity since Plimus
stopped me from purchasing Book I and Share*it (part of Digital River) have given me problems several times in the past (alleging that my valid credit card "could not be processed").
Oops! Sorry, I meant BMT Micro. I said Share*it becasue I was looking at it last week, but no, we are staying with Plimus and BMT Micro.
Re: Book II CD or DVD
Posted: April 6th, 2010, 11:19 am
by AstralWanderer
BasiliskWrangler wrote:...we are staying with Plimus and BMT Micro.
Thanks for the clarification - phew!

Re: Book II CD or DVD
Posted: April 6th, 2010, 6:11 pm
by Faithful
BasiliskWrangler wrote:When you buy the CD version, you'll still get a Registration number. You can download the demo and unlock it to play the full game immediately, or you can wait for your CD to arrive. The CD will still require your Registration number, so be sure to hang on to your receipt email, because the CD will not have the Reg number printed on the case.
Since I came a bit late to this game (i.e. Book I had been out for some time), I am wondering if the CD version is purchased, does it come in a CD/DVD style case, or is it simply in a paper sleeve?
I also, wondered if there were plans on making a compilation CD with both games on it, and if so would there be any sort of discount for those that already own both games?
It would be nice to have both on CD!

Re: Book II CD or DVD
Posted: April 6th, 2010, 6:16 pm
by King_ov_Death
Faithful wrote:BasiliskWrangler wrote:When you buy the CD version, you'll still get a Registration number. You can download the demo and unlock it to play the full game immediately, or you can wait for your CD to arrive. The CD will still require your Registration number, so be sure to hang on to your receipt email, because the CD will not have the Reg number printed on the case.
Since I came a bit late to this game (i.e. Book I had been out for some time), I am wondering if the CD version is purchased, does it come in a CD/DVD style case, or is it simply in a paper sleeve?
I also, wondered if there were plans on making a compilation CD with both games on it, and if so would there be any sort of discount for those that already own both games?
It would be nice to have both on CD!

1) As far as I know, the CD version comes inside a case.
2) I think BW said that when Book III comes out, he will release a "Special/Collector's Edition" of some sorts featuring all three games.