Page 1 of 1
Cartography
Posted: September 19th, 2009, 1:48 pm
by carsacade
I haven't noticed any discussion on the cartography skill. Will a player still have to have the cartography skill in Book II to develop a mini-map as in Book I. Or is this something that we will have automatically.
Re: Cartography
Posted: September 19th, 2009, 2:01 pm
by IJBall
carsacade wrote:I haven't noticed any discussion on the cartography skill. Will a player still have to have the cartography skill in Book II to develop a mini-map as in Book I. Or is this something that we will have automatically.
If you look at the various screenshots we've seen from Book II (including a few that I think can only be seen in some of the online interviews with BW), you'll notice that Cartography is still a levelable-skill that will be important.
(For example, in one of the screenshots floating out there, you'll see a Minimap from a character with relatively high Cartography skill and notice
orange dots on the Minimap - something never seen in Book I! - which I think indicates the things like torches will be filled in on the Minimap in characters with high Cartography skill in Book II.)
Long story short - it looks like to me Cartography will work pretty similarly to how it worked in Book I.

Re: Cartography
Posted: September 22nd, 2009, 1:38 pm
by dmaz
and it should be... that's one of the things that made book I so great!
Re: Cartography
Posted: September 22nd, 2009, 1:48 pm
by IJBall
dmaz wrote:and it should be... that's one of the things that made book I so great!
I agree, though I do wonder if you'll start off Book II with an automatic 'Level 1' in Cartography.
I can accept the fact that your weapons and magic skills would so go to cr*p in 2 years that you're essentially back to 'Level 0' in those kinds of skills at the start of Book II.
But I have a hard time swallowing the idea that you would have forgotten
everything you know about Cartography between Book I and Book II!
It seems like if this is a true "sequel", you should at least remember enough Cartography skills as to still be Level 1 at the start of Book II!!
But, of course, YMMV.

Re: Cartography
Posted: September 23rd, 2009, 10:39 am
by Aldbeski
you know what i think you are absolutely right and BW should really consider this new info
Re: Cartography
Posted: September 27th, 2009, 1:21 pm
by carsacade
Ha! You make a good point if this is a true "sequel" then one should start off with an automatic level 1 in cartography. Honestly the character should just pick up where B1 left off and just continue developing and leveling up but I suppose that would make it impossible to play B2 not having played B1 first, huh? Anyway, I hope this is something the team takes into consideration. I love the process of developing your own map and having to level up cartography to develop a more in depth map so please don't remove this feature whatever you do.
