Page 1 of 1

3 skill points = 1 skill?

Posted: August 18th, 2008, 4:18 pm
by idolator
I'm playing through my first game and I'm at level 5. So far, every time I've leveled, I've lost all three skill points each time I added a skill. So, at level 5, I've gained 4 skills. Is this the way it's supposed to work?

(Playing on an Intel iMac.)

Re: 3 skill points = 1 skill?

Posted: August 18th, 2008, 5:06 pm
by Artius
idolator wrote:I'm playing through my first game and I'm at level 5. So far, every time I've leveled, I've lost all three skill points each time I added a skill.
Yes, from my understanding. The first point in a new skill costs 3 skill points. From that point though, each additional point in a particular skill costs only one.

I just bought the game this morning, but have never played past the demo area. My personal experience was that you're better off putting all of your points into just a few skills early on.

Re: 3 skill points = 1 skill?

Posted: August 18th, 2008, 6:02 pm
by Kreador Freeaxe
Also, there are books and trainers who will teach you skills without expending skill points on them (though the trainers will cost you money).

Re: 3 skill points = 1 skill?

Posted: August 18th, 2008, 6:51 pm
by idolator
Thanks.

Sigh. I get so impatient when I'm starting to develop new characters. :roll:

Re: 3 skill points = 1 skill?

Posted: August 19th, 2008, 2:42 pm
by Dragonlady
Just so you know to plan ahead for the trainers, here are the costs:

Level one in a skill: 100 gold
Level two in a skill: 200 gold
Level three in a skill: 300 gold
-see a trend here? :)

You can go up to level 5 with trainers.

Trainers are: Archery, sword, bludgen (mace type), throw, short blade, (am I missing one?) Oh! the one for axes...?
Alchemey, Elementary, Divine.

excuse my spelling I'm in a hurry as I have to leave in a minute.

Re: 3 skill points = 1 skill?

Posted: August 19th, 2008, 7:17 pm
by Unclever title
There's a trainer for short blades? Where?

And you missed Cartography, but that one is quick to be found.

Re: 3 skill points = 1 skill?

Posted: August 19th, 2008, 10:59 pm
by Kven TelGhoul
I don't think there is a short blade trainer. The weapons master guy in Blackwater I believe has bludgeoning, swords, and cleaving. I would double check but I stole the helmet out of his chest and killed him because he didn't like that lol.

Re: 3 skill points = 1 skill?

Posted: August 20th, 2008, 1:14 am
by Evnissyen
If I'm thinking of the same guy, you need to get him to step into the far corner of the room (following the same wall as the chest, I think) behind some object there, and he won't see you open the chest and take the helmet. I think you can do this if you walk into that place when he's close by, so that when you step out, he steps in. Strange... I managed to do it once, but I'm not sure if I'd be able to do it again.

Re: 3 skill points = 1 skill?

Posted: August 20th, 2008, 6:02 pm
by Kreador Freeaxe
One, the weapons trainer in Blackwater is a woman. :)

Two, if you're silent and either invisible or really good at hiding in shadows, you can get the helm out without consequence as long as she's more than two spaces away from you.

At least that's my experience.

Re: 3 skill points = 1 skill?

Posted: August 21st, 2008, 6:06 am
by Evnissyen
Ah, you're right. Her name is Sonya.

I'm skeptical about the hiding-in-shadows, since the room is impossible to make dark... but I'm sure you're right about the invisibility . . . possibly the move silently... I hadn't tried either.

Re: 3 skill points = 1 skill?

Posted: August 21st, 2008, 10:37 am
by Kreador Freeaxe
If your hide in shadows is high enough, there's just a little shade right along the wall by the chest, but you have to be silent and Sonya the further Sonya is away from you the better. Invisibility works better, if you have it, though (either potion or spell).