Hey there,
now, don't you all get me wrong, I didn't say that Eschalon didn't do what it set out to do. Very much to the opposite, in fact, because most if not all of these issues are problems that I remember quite distinctly from the olden days as well. As far as capturing the spirit of oldschool RPG gaming goes, this is the real thing, perfectly done. It's so perfect, in fact, that I've come to remember why a lot of this stuff was a bad idea. Oldschool RPG doesn't exist anymore for a reason. It's tedious, mindless and boring. Dungeon Master, by the standards of today, is a joke. So are Eye of the Beholder, Pools of Radiance, Rogue, Moria and Ultima I-III. All those games are horrible dumps of bad design decisions, made before there was an easy way to tell developers just what's wrong with their games. Today, we simply know better.
That's just my personal opinion, of course, and I understand that opinions may differ. I think there are a lot of crappy and shallow RPGs today, and I applaud Basilisk Games for what they managed to do, but I still think I have some valid criticisms here, especially technical stuff like the movement speed. There's no shame in taking good ideas from other games! You're trying to make a product that's fun and relaxing to play, not needlessly aggravating (and it IS aggravating, I know I'm not the only one to be annoyed by that.) As a programmer and old-time gaming enthusiast, I'd really like for this independent franchise to succeed. I've never regretted telling indie devs when they screwed something up, it's only made their games better.
You said:
Twenty minutes? Again, stop exaggerating. Nothing wrong with the movement speed, but then again I don't suffer from a short attention span. And Quick Travel was not horribly limited as you put it, it covered all the important areas. I really wonder how some of you people play this game.
Well, true, I don't usually take a stopwatch when I'm going to play a game, but you really don't need to insult my attention span. The point is that my time is limited and valuable. I have a job, I have family, I have other hobbies. I just don't
want to spend ten minutes, maybe more, covering space I already walked through. Yeah, I could. It bores me to tears, though, and makes me want to do something more engaging instead.
Small game world? Yes, but it was a short game.
True, I have to admit as much.
The walking speed was a little slow for my liking, but it wasn't that terrible really, if quick traveling wasn't available then I'd really complain about walking speed.
No this games is not an Action-RPG that requires blazing speed while traveling. Why do you need to double or triple the movement speed? I guess that would mean the monsters get double or quadruple movement speed. This game is not Diablo or any of that irk. The Quick Travel system works very well and is nicely thought out.
Now, as much as you are right that this isn't Diablo, you have to admit that this doesn't make much sense. This game will
never be Diablo, simply because everything is turn-based. What does it matter if movement speed doubles for monsters too? This doesn't change the pace of combat, because nothing moves if
you don't move first. It's simply a matter of convenience. I had to make the trip to Lilith, the b/witch in the forest, two times. Each time I started from Bordertown. Each time it took me certainly at least five minutes. The first trip was even worse, because of various dead ends in the preceding forest labyrinth. This is something that could be easily fixed with a simple convenience option. "Portal" doesn't even help all that much, because you have to GET it first. And that's not always easy, especially this early in the game.
About conversations, yeah some tweaking should be done, some conversations you should be able to cancel out of, but only some. I mean some of the other conversations are vitally important man, pay attention.
Also true, it makes sense that you shouldn't be able to cancel out of some important conversations, especially of the scripted sort. Its inconvenient, though, and when in doubt I usually support convenience over realism. If it makes people frustrated then it's not a good design decision.
Balance, considering the game rarely requires true masters in any one skill field it is easier to play through with a crossish character, so ANY pure set is going to have challenges, but it all comes down to how you learn to play. I've always found in many games that mage characters require more strategy to use and fighters less, theifs somewhere in between. And too me balance doesn't really figure in to a single player game. Different choices about your character are bound to make it more or less challenging.
Yes it is possible to play a pure mage, been there and done it. In fact played several characters. Pure mage just takes more strategy.
You got me there. Yeah, it's possible, in the same sense that pulling out your own teeth is possible. It hurts, though, and it isn't very fun. I've ascended Wizards in Nethack and Angband before and yeah, tactics and strategy is the name of the game. You can actually kill stuff as a mage type character in those games, though. Eschalon, not so much. It's worse now that spell damage doesn't apply to containers like it used to. Fire Dart was damn useful in V1.0! Right now, though, it's just bad.
One time, I made myself a mage with 50 Intelligence, Perception, Arcane and Meditation, and it was still tedious! That should say something. A warrior with those stats is godly and completely invulnerable. 50 Survival? One HP. Every. Three. Steps. That guy was plain immortal. Twenty goblins at once? No sweat. Minotaur smashing an axe in his face? Wait a second, honey, I'm polishing my sword right now.
Allowing Mana regeneration to increase beyond 1 every 3 is a must if mages are meant to become as fun as warriors are. That, or damage dependent on your Arcane skill, not fixed by casting level. Right now there's no variety and no real feeling of progress, at least to me.
You want to compare Eschalon to Baldur's Gate. Did you read the credits for Baldur's Gate and see the number of people working on it. There was a team of programmers, artists, sound people, not to mention producers. The credit naming the people takes up 8 pages!
True, Baldur's Gate had a budget that indie games can only dream of. However, I'm not stupid, so I know that. That's why I only compared it to Baldur's Gate's
character creation screen. Point-based stat assignment isn't something that takes a dev team of twenty people. In fact, given the source code, I could implement that right now and it wouldn't take more than half an hour, tops. It's simply a matter of removing the random number generator and initialising the fields with a certain value. Not hard to do at all, so it should at least be an option, don't you think?
Fetch quests appeared in every CRPG I have ever played and I have played a lot of them from Rogue to NetHack to Oblivion.
Agreed, but then again, Nethack doesn't even really
have dialogue. It's the archetypal dungeon romp, so quests are necessarily limited. And Oblivion was just plain bad. Really, I didn't go into this expecting epic writing and dialogues like out of Shakespeare. Not even Planescape: Torment-style quests that could be solved purely through dialogue. It's the little things that make or break a game, though, and the examples I gave - the priest telling me about a battered farm wife - really don't take all that much effort. It just bugs me. It makes me feel the world is just waiting for me to stumble along and make things happen, instead of a place that exists apart from my character. Have you played The Witcher, maybe? Now THAT's a game that immerses you! Of course that's not really a fair comparison, so I'm not going to put that on the same level.
Anyway, I hope you understand that I'm not being willfully unfair or anything. None of the things I mentioned are unsolvable, even for an indie developer, and I hear a lot of them are going to be fixed in Book II anyway. I just thought this needed saying.
William