Page 1 of 1

About the Music

Posted: June 25th, 2008, 9:16 pm
by Unclever title
I know (by simply putting the titles into google) that Wizardtorium and Air Prelude are royalty free music, my questions are did you guys make them or find them?

In addition, is any of the rest of the music for Eschalon Book I royalty free?

Oh and the music is excellent by the way, how and what with did you make it? Or is all of it found music?

Re: About the Music

Posted: June 25th, 2008, 11:49 pm
by realmzmaster
Wizardtorium and Air Prelude are by Kevin Macleod. Some of the other music is by GloriaN (Main title, Forge your destiny, Overland Theme). What percentage is royalty free I do not know, but I think quite a bit of it is royalty free.

Re: About the Music

Posted: June 26th, 2008, 12:23 am
by BasiliskWrangler
Any tracks by Glorian are not royalty free. Basilisk Games own those and they were written specifically for Eschalon. Incidentally, he is writing some amazing tracks for Book II.

Several of the other tracks are "royalty free", but we still had to purchase the license to use them. That means if you want to use them for something, you need to buy a license as well. "Royalty Free" does not mean free!

The tracks by Kevin Macleod are the only true free tracks. You can use them in your own project, but you need to credit the artist if you do.

Re: About the Music

Posted: June 26th, 2008, 1:21 am
by Unclever title
Awesome, thanks that is good to know.

Re: About the Music

Posted: June 26th, 2008, 12:53 pm
by realmzmaster
I see! Basilisk Games purchased a license for the overall use of the royalty free tracks. I assume that means you do not have to pay a royalty for each copy of the game sold or each specific use of the tracks if they are used in another game. The tracks by Glorian you commissioned and own outright.

Re: About the Music

Posted: June 26th, 2008, 2:41 pm
by BasiliskWrangler
realmzmaster wrote:I assume that means you do not have to pay a royalty for each copy of the game sold or each specific use of the tracks if they are used in another game. The tracks by Glorian you commissioned and own outright.
Exactly. There are many great royalty-free tracks available that are actually rather expensive to use, but in purchasing a license we don't have to pay a 3-cent royalty to the composer for every game we sell. This is usually a bit more affordable and certainly easier, but it does mean that other games (or commercials or movies) may use the same music. Royalty free licenses are non-exclusive to the purchaser.

Book II will have a few more exclusive tracks by "Glorian" which we have commissioned him to create just for us. He has kept the "Eschalon theme" from Book I and has built upon it, sort of like the Star Wars theme used from movie to movie. He is awesome.

Re: About the Music

Posted: June 27th, 2008, 10:11 am
by Asgard The Elder
I am glad there is going to be more of this great music. The game disk has the complete Echalon (main theme) mp3 which I load and loop play as I read through and post to this board - Mood music...YES

Re: About the Music

Posted: July 1st, 2008, 5:24 pm
by KLONDIKE
hello everyone


i'm brand new to this forum, but i play Eschalon Book I....it is a wonderful game and the music is fantastic! good choices!

but I would like to make a request about the music and the sound effects......

I can not have the music/sound very loud or it bothers my ears. I was wondering if it could be seperated so you could choose a seperate level for each of them [like most games have music and sound effects on seperate controls]

I am looking forward to Book II....

I have alot of issues with arthritis in my hands so I am unable to play for very long each time each sitting. also have dementia so I keep forgetting where things are located, so a great big thanks to those who did the maps. I really appreciate them.

keep up the great work on your games!

Re: About the Music

Posted: July 1st, 2008, 8:25 pm
by Asgard The Elder
KLONDIKE wrote:hello everyone


i'm brand new to this forum, but i play Eschalon Book I....it is a wonderful game and the music is fantastic! good choices!

but I would like to make a request about the music and the sound effects......

I can not have the music/sound very loud or it bothers my ears. I was wondering if it could be seperated so you could choose a seperate level for each of them [like most games have music and sound effects on seperate controls]

I am looking forward to Book II....

I have alot of issues with arthritis in my hands so I am unable to play for very long each time each sitting. also have dementia so I keep forgetting where things are located, so a great big thanks to those who did the maps. I really appreciate them.

keep up the great work on your games!
Yes there is.
In the game click on the disk in the upper right.
Click on options
On each of the three music entries you can control the volume.
Highlight the music you wish with the mouse, Left click will reduce the vol by 10% right click will raise the volume by 10%

Re: About the Music

Posted: July 4th, 2008, 10:24 am
by KLONDIKE
thank you so much for the tip! i will do that