Page 1 of 1

Russian Gamers Rate Eschalon.

Posted: February 28th, 2008, 12:59 am
by MaxEd
Users of Russian game-review site ag.ru (Absolute Games) rated Eschalon: Book I. The results by nominations are:

The best RPG of year: 8th place.
The best shareware game of year: 9th place.
The best game of year: 40th place.

Link to all Eschalon votes: http://top.ag.ru/2007/g_15093.html (in Russian).

Though these may not look very well, but remember that 40th place is just few places away from such games Hellgate: London or NFS: ProStreet Racing, which got way more hype and whose budgets were gigantic.

Re: Russian Gamers Rate Eschalon.

Posted: February 28th, 2008, 1:54 pm
by Saxon1974
MaxEd wrote:Users of Russian game-review site ag.ru (Absolute Games) rated Eschalon: Book I. The results by nominations are:

The best RPG of year: 8th place.
The best shareware game of year: 9th place.
The best game of year: 40th place.

Link to all Eschalon votes: http://top.ag.ru/2007/g_15093.html (in Russian).

Though these may not look very well, but remember that 40th place is just few places away from such games Hellgate: London or NFS: ProStreet Racing, which got way more hype and whose budgets were gigantic.
Since I don't read Russion, can you tell me what the top 7 RPGs were ahead of Eschalon?

Posted: February 28th, 2008, 2:31 pm
by solistus
Saxon: if you click the one that has 'Shareware' in roman characters in the link title, it brings you to the shareware list. The names are in English (mostly). Eschalon is #8. The top title is Luxor 3.

The one right above it appears to be the best RPGs list (Eschalon is #9). I think the original poster got them reversed. The top title is The Witcher, followed by Jade Empire.

Posted: February 28th, 2008, 3:09 pm
by MaxEd
Top 10 RPGS:

1. Witcher
2. Jade Empire
3. Hellgate: London
4. Corsairs: The Return of Legend (Russian game)
5. Two Worlds
6. LoTR Online
7. Tabula Rasa
8. Silverfall
9. Eschalon
10. Not a time for Dragons (another Russian title)

I'd say The Witcher probably deservers first position, but I hasn't played the rest of games, since they're mostly action-RPG's.

Top 10 Shareware games:
1. Luxor 3
2. Switchball
3. Mr. Robot
4. * Russian shareware game, for which I don't know english name *
5. Geometry Wars
6. Balance
7. Ricohet Infinity
8. Eschalon
9. 18 Wheels Of Steel
10. Bus Driver

I've only played Eschalon and Bus Driver from top 10, but Geneforge 4 (30th place) was nice.

Posted: February 28th, 2008, 4:31 pm
by solistus
MaxEd: Agreed. Spiderweb games in general are great. Avernum, Geneforge and Eschalon are the only shareware RPG series currently being developed that I know of worth playing.

Posted: February 28th, 2008, 6:14 pm
by silverkitty
I wish people would stop putting diabloclones into the "rpg" category.

Posted: February 28th, 2008, 9:16 pm
by realmzmaster
I can agree with some of the crpg listing , but any list that has the disaster known as Silverfall any where in the top 10 is suspect.

Posted: February 28th, 2008, 10:21 pm
by Saxon1974
I agree with you guys. I really think we need to have more specifically defined categories for RPG's.

Maybe Old school or Hardcore RPG's for the ones we like (like Eschalon) and then action\RPG and MMO's should be in their own categories. I know that's what they are called now, but I hate that they all get lumped together in the same category.

The experience playing actions RPG's and MMO's is completely different than true RPG's.

I liked the Witcher, it was a well made game but is still more of an action\FPS game in my opinion so I got bored with it fairly quickly.