Page 1 of 1

Alternate way of quick travel

Posted: January 10th, 2008, 5:18 am
by Grue
With countless game hours of travelling back and forth on the empty wastes of Crakamir, I know the pain of those who have complained that the character needs to be able to move faster. However, the walking speed in Book I is good for "normal" exploration, IMO. It's only when you need to cover long stretches of already explored areas (that have had their residents killed, maimed and looted :twisted:) or travel back and forth such areas when the walking speed becomes painfully slow. Sure, there is the instant quick travel option, but that is not available to all areas (like the aforementioned Crakamir - or better yet, away from Crakamir to restock on arrows etc.). Besides, instant travel is a bit, eh, iffy, IMO. I can live with it, it is convenient, but from a roleplaying POV I don't like it...

Anyway, one way of easing the tedium of slowly travelling through empty lands would be an option/toggle to increase game speed by a factor of 2 (or even 3 or 4) to speed up travel. This in effect increases your movement speed by the same factor. Note that enemies (and everything else) get this speed increase as well. So this does not change anything from the game's perspective, it only changes the player's perspective of the game world. Did that make any sense? I meant, it does not need any new rules or anything, as it changes nothing as far as the game plays - it only makes everything move and act faster (so if you're an ADHD kid hopped up on Red Bull, the game might actually go at your speed now :lol: :roll: ). This could solve the movement speed problem without resorting to horses or sprinting or anything like that, which would require new rules. (I would like to have horses in Book II, tho'! :))

Note that, I don't want the normal walking speed increased, as it is just fine now (in Book I). I surely don't want characters to be too fast in their (normal) walking movement - when your character just zooms though the land, it looks unnatural and silly (to me) and breaks immersion in a big way. YMMV.

Posted: January 11th, 2008, 11:26 am
by Tecknomage
Then there's the option of having Mark & Recall magic spells like Morrowind & Oblivion.

The only change I would make, is you buy/acquire both spells at the same time, as a set.

Posted: January 27th, 2008, 8:56 pm
by Krafen
Tecknomage wrote:Then there's the option of having Mark & Recall magic spells like Morrowind & Oblivion.

The only change I would make, is you buy/acquire both spells at the same time, as a set.
Isn't the spell you are describing already in-game under the name Portal?

Another...

Posted: January 27th, 2008, 10:45 pm
by Adrian
...great way is to set the auto-walk to whatever direction you want and then press the Windows key or ALT-TAB out of Eschalon. In an instant you'll cross the entire map. This works with resting, though unfortunately it'll mean you'll rest until you get interrupted. Once though, I didn't, and rested for 300+ hours in seconds.