Page 3 of 3

Re: Torchlight: Like FATE mixed with Mythos...

Posted: October 27th, 2009, 6:44 pm
by BasiliskWrangler
dare49devil wrote:
BasiliskWrangler wrote:
getter77 wrote:Well...I thought the title I put up for the thread would've been some head's up especially considering the team's background? :? :(
You are right, and I certainly don't blame anyone for my misunderstanding of the game's mechanics. I should have read a bit more about it before assuming I knew what I was getting.

Other than that, I have managed to waste a good 2 hours now on it, so it does have some mindless appeal. :wink: As you mention, it is very easy to pick up for a few minutes in between other tasks.
-Were you a player of Diablo II/D2LOD?
Yes, though it has probably been at least 8 years since I played it. I think I remember liking Diablo 1 more though- that it felt more like an RPG to me (again, I barely remember it though.)

I really am not bashing Torchlight- it's actually quite a fun little game. It's just really not much of an RPG by anyone's definition, so much as I can tell after, eh, 3 hours of play so far. My biggest complaint is that it requires no thought at all, and I think it would be impossible to develop a bad character. Everything about Torchlight seems to say: as long as you can click fast enough and keep your fingers on the health/mana hotkeys, you will be successful. There are not enough choices when it comes to character development to make a bad choice, and you really can't take a "wrong turn" in a dungeon.

As getter77 mentioned, I really am looking forward to seeing what kinds of mods people can come up with for it.

Re: Torchlight: Like FATE mixed with Mythos...

Posted: October 27th, 2009, 8:26 pm
by getter77
For a more cerebral experience, at least at the onset along similar lines, the soon upcoming of Soldak's Din's Curse would probably be closer to Basilisk-country at first glance/repeated glances. Much will get hashed out with Torchlight in the coming weeks, that I'm almost certain of.

Re: Torchlight: Like FATE mixed with Mythos...

Posted: October 27th, 2009, 8:42 pm
by ttomm46
It's from Travis Baldree who created fate...and from the demo that's exactly what it is..a sort of updated Fate that plays pretty much like Fate itself with a few tweaks...

I'll wait for Eschalon book 2 :lol:

Re: Torchlight: Like FATE mixed with Mythos...

Posted: October 28th, 2009, 4:25 pm
by quasimodo
Travis Baldree wrote:
Torchlight is a 20 buck, 11 month game, so there's a limit to our ambition ( I like to eat, and hey, I just lost a WHOLE ambitious game a month before public beta, so it'd be nice to get some money rolling in the door in a crummy economy with twenty-some-odd mouths to feed ) Plus, I like this kind of game for a 20 minute diversion. I love my RPGS, but occasionally (ok, often) I just want to beat the everloving crap out of something.

As far as its status as an RPG - well, let's not beat about the bush, it's in the lightest sense. There's no dialog trees, no moral choice. If you think of it as a casual action game with light RPG trappings, that's probably more accurate ( and is more or less what ARPG has come to mean ).

If you think of it as Fate+++ with moar blood, better levels and artwork, better loot, and a full mod kit, that's pretty close to the mark. It sure doesn't aspire to being classic Fallout or anything.




The quote above was posted over at the Codex. I do admire the honesty of the statement. I'll try the demo and buy the game if I like it at all. I also have high hopes for the editor.

Re: Torchlight: Like FATE mixed with Mythos...

Posted: November 10th, 2009, 7:23 pm
by dare49devil
-I tried out the demo. And as being a rabid Diablo fan..It sparked memories. Haha. Even the music! Very good Diablo clone.

Re: Torchlight: Like FATE mixed with Mythos...

Posted: November 11th, 2009, 11:41 am
by Rune_74
quasimodo wrote:Travis Baldree wrote:
Torchlight is a 20 buck, 11 month game, so there's a limit to our ambition ( I like to eat, and hey, I just lost a WHOLE ambitious game a month before public beta, so it'd be nice to get some money rolling in the door in a crummy economy with twenty-some-odd mouths to feed ) Plus, I like this kind of game for a 20 minute diversion. I love my RPGS, but occasionally (ok, often) I just want to beat the everloving crap out of something.

As far as its status as an RPG - well, let's not beat about the bush, it's in the lightest sense. There's no dialog trees, no moral choice. If you think of it as a casual action game with light RPG trappings, that's probably more accurate ( and is more or less what ARPG has come to mean ).

If you think of it as Fate+++ with moar blood, better levels and artwork, better loot, and a full mod kit, that's pretty close to the mark. It sure doesn't aspire to being classic Fallout or anything.



The quote above was posted over at the Codex. I do admire the honesty of the statement. I'll try the demo and buy the game if I like it at all. I also have high hopes for the editor.
Its a very good diablo clone...and thats what it aims for. Who really cares about its rpgness(tm) thats not what it is even trying for.

Re: Torchlight: Like FATE mixed with Mythos...

Posted: November 12th, 2009, 10:16 pm
by Farwalker
Much better graphics than Fate.
But not as much fun as Fate somehow.
No hilarious items fished up (long live the cheese hat), poorer socketable item choices, little use of Fame (no high fame requirement items - you just get the extra skill point per Fame level).
Ah well, I did enjoy playing it through.
:)

Re: Torchlight: Like FATE mixed with Mythos...

Posted: December 19th, 2009, 12:27 am
by dare49devil
-On sale on Steam 50% off! $10 only. I bought it. =]