The first claim isn't exactly true - Kreador can tell you about successfully playing a 'jack of all trades' character.
I'm not sure what you mean by "Constitution" - do you mean the ENDurance attribute? If so, you can definitely play characters with relatively low END (provided they are spell-casters, or missile-weapon wielders!).
The 'trainer' issue is a perennial one that we've hashed over many times on these forums. I guess you have a point on this issue, as they do seem to be controversial. I like having them (it gives you more options), but I probably wouldn't object horribly if they were dropped either. (I would object, however, if 'quest-triggered' trainers were eliminated entirely...)
Yes, sorry, with Constitution I meant Endurance.
I don't claim that it's impossible to play with low Endurance. But you are simply gimped if you decide to put points in constitution later on.
Imho a good skill system must be retroactive and transparent. The system of Eschalon is neither. Well, at least it's just "not intuitive" instead of "counter-intuitive" as the System in Oblivion is, which is actively working against the player and therefore the worst skill system I have seen in a game so far.
Playing as a jack of all trades character is probably possible, but that depends on the definition of a jack of all trades character. For example:
I played a character which was able to cast, melee, lockpick, disarm traps, repair, identify stuff, forage...well, one could argue that I was able to do everything. But it wasn't really a jack of all trades character as I "cheated" a bit by informing myself beforehand about trainers. I didn't put a single point in repairing, magic, bows...and so on.
And still, it was quite difficult for me to defet Taurax Legionnaires. My fights were like this:
Wait until the night
Cast Predator (which removed the negative dark effect for you and not for the enemy)
Use Power stance, and use the Bow Skill -> you can't miss with it anyways
Pull them out of the crowed alone, if someone adds -> certain death
Wait until he is very nearby, then cast stoneskin, switch to Sword and Shield, switch to normal combat stance
Hit enemy until stoneskin wears out, go into inventory, unequip shield, recast stoneskin, equip shield
Hit enemy again until he dies
I am pretty sure that I would not have been able to pull this off, if I had a lower plate armor or swords skill - or a lot less hitpoints.
I don't think that trainers need to be removed. But as I said I think the system should be transparent. This means: In the very beginning of the game you should have a clear vision about how the skill system works, what each skill does.
The first thing I naturally do is to check if Endurance is retroactive (yes, really!), meaning I put every point into Endurance right at character creation so that I get the "correct" amount of hitpoints each level. What is the point to raise Endurance at level 10 if one point of Endurance is worth far less then? Putting 20 Points in Endurance 10 levels before means you get 20 additional Hitpoints just by this decision.
The trainer situation is very unclear. You don't have trainers in the first city. You don't know that they raise your skill till 8 for just money. You don't know for which skills you can find trainers in the game. You don't know that the skill "Lore" is obsolete because you can identify every item yourself by items/magic even as a melee based character.
You don't know that you can get books which grant you 3 or 2 skill points which must not be learnt before you maxed the skill on the trainer.
So if I was asked to change the system I would do the following:
-Make Hitpoint and Mana Gain retroactive
-Books add 3 Skillpoints (instead of 2) or the base knowledge.
-Add an Maximum amount of skillpoints which can be gained by trainers. Communicate this by the NPCs text like "Be aware that the knowledge you can gain by trainers is very limited, so choose wiseley whom you want to train you!".
These are three very little changes which would change the whole "spirit" of the skill system massively without actually changing the system itself at all.
I personally think Eschalon has a great engine (better than Spiderweb's offerings). The one part of Eschalon that maybe hasn't be fully explored yet is the kind of story-telling and scenario-building that can be done once the community is free to go beyond the Eschalon game series' gamestory. I'm very curious if one (or a group of us) can come up with something with Eschalon's game engine that can possibly surpass Eschalon's gamestory.
I absolutely agree here. The engine itself is great (well, make it more user friendly by adding additional screen ratios and maybe resolutions). The game looks neat and also the music and sounds are good. When playing Eschalon I often thought like "wow, it would have been so easy to fill up the whole world with a proper editor" and felt reminded at times where I created and modified tons of maps for Jagged Alliance Deadly Games. Of course this wouldn't translate 1 to 1 as you didn't need to write anything there (and I suck at writing dialogues), but I am pretty sure that with little effort (in comparison) fans could create great worlds on their own which might even surpass the original one.
And on a sidenote: I hope everyone of you has played Nehrim. The best example for what fans can do.
Edit: And about the hunger and repair settings: It's nice to be able to disable these settings. But imho players which choose to play with these settings think like "Yes, I want to be affected by this" and therefore should effected by this. There is no point in removing this influence later on.