Spell level bug?
Spell level bug?
I just bought Eschalon 2 and am having great time. A couple of questions: First, as I have read here, there is no way to delete useless spells. This is bad. Next has anyone had problem with the spell level dropping down 2 levels every time you use the number keys to change to a different spell? I then have to go into the spell screen and reset the proper level each time. This gets to be a nuisance quickly. Is there a patch that fixed this? I am only a level 5 wizard and having a blast so far. Thanks
-
Kreador Freeaxe
- Major General

- Posts: 2469
- Joined: April 26th, 2008, 4:44 pm
Re: Spell level bug?
You may be having a problem that you set the quick-select when you were only able to use the spell at that lower level, and haven't reset the selection button. You can, actually, have the same spell at different levels set on different quick-select slots.
---
Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
Re: Spell level bug?
I am dumb. Thanks Kreador. Have there been any patches released? I really enjoy trying out all the spells for fun, but can't since I'm limited and must save spell slots for better spells. I hope by the time I finish book 2 and then book 1, book 3 will be out.
I don't see any patches on the site. Hope they fix this for Eschalon 3. Thanks for the reply.
I don't see any patches on the site. Hope they fix this for Eschalon 3. Thanks for the reply.
-
Kreador Freeaxe
- Major General

- Posts: 2469
- Joined: April 26th, 2008, 4:44 pm
Re: Spell level bug?
Raising your Intelligence and/or Wisdom, even temporarily, does add to your ability to learn more spells. There are fairly standard items in the game that will let you add a total of, I believe, 12 points to Int or 9 to Wis.
---
Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
-
KillingMoon
- Officer [Gold Rank]
![Officer [Gold Rank] Officer [Gold Rank]](./images/ranks/officer3.png)
- Posts: 460
- Joined: December 10th, 2009, 6:34 pm
- Location: NW Europe
Re: Spell level bug?
You could of course save your game before learning a new spell, try that spell and go back if you don't like it.noname wrote:I really enjoy trying out all the spells for fun, but can't since I'm limited and must save spell slots for better spells.
But like in any good strategy game, you're making choices and they have an impact on the rest of the game. In roleplaying games this especially goes for how you setup your character.
In Eschalon it could perhaps be made graphically a bit clearer in the spell book how many spells you can learn at that moment. With skills and attributes you get a certain amount of points to spend and that's clear. Your spellbook has, similarly, only a limited amount of slots, but visually that's not clear.
I think this would indeed deserve another look from the game developer.
But I don't think he will make the kind of 'fix' or 'patch' you seem to be hoping for. The best thing you can perhaps do is to download Xolotl's character editor, I believe that gives you more or less unlimited options.
Re: Spell level bug?
BW does release new versions of the game when they're available, though it's as a full download, not just a "patch" with the changes. Book II is at version 1.05, and Book I is at version 1.06, at the moment. To get the most recent Book II, you can just download it from the downloads page (the demo is the same code as the full game). I wouldn't expect new versions of either for some time, though, since BW is into the Book III coding now.noname wrote:Have there been any patches released?
Re: Spell level bug?
Well, there's always a chance that we'll get a Yoma River Caverns (or whatever it's called!) expansion for Book II sometime in the next year to tide us over until Book III is released.xolotl wrote:...I wouldn't expect new versions of either for some time, though, since BW is into the Book III coding now.
You know - maybe BW will get tired of Book III coding for a while later on this summer, and will blow off steam by taking a few weeks to do up the Yoma River Caverns expansion!!!
(What?! It could happen!!
Re: Spell level bug?
Thanks to all for the help. I was going to download the v.1.05 but since I only have dial-up it would take 16 hours and I would get kicked off the internet long before that. I am told that a download manager would help. How can I use a download manager with one of the servers listed such as Atomic? As you can tell I am not very computer literate. Any help will be appreciated. Thank you.
-
Randomizer
- Captain Magnate

- Posts: 1469
- Joined: December 11th, 2007, 6:51 am
- Location: Wandering the Rift
Re: Spell level bug?
Safari browser allows you to resume downloads after your ISP kicks you out at 12 hours. I had to do it that way to get Book 2.
Re: Spell level bug?
Thank You Randomizer, Doesn't a Safari browswr have something to do with a Mac pc? I have a Windows IBM. On the Basilisk download page my only choices are Atomic gamer,Gamershell,Download.com,or Local. None of those mention the word Safari after I click on them. 
-
Kreador Freeaxe
- Major General

- Posts: 2469
- Joined: April 26th, 2008, 4:44 pm
Re: Spell level bug?
Safari is Apple's proprietary browser, yes. You might want to use a download management program that may be able to speed up the download as well as handle interruptions and such. I don't know any particular ones for Windows, as I'm a Mac head.noname wrote:Thank You Randomizer, Doesn't a Safari browswr have something to do with a Mac pc? I have a Windows IBM. On the Basilisk download page my only choices are Atomic gamer,Gamershell,Download.com,or Local. None of those mention the word Safari after I click on them.
---
Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
-
Randomizer
- Captain Magnate

- Posts: 1469
- Joined: December 11th, 2007, 6:51 am
- Location: Wandering the Rift
Re: Spell level bug?
Apple released a version of Safari for Windows, but I don't know whether it's supported for your system.
-
SpottedShroom
- Captain Magnate

- Posts: 1372
- Joined: June 4th, 2010, 7:18 pm
Re: Spell level bug?
If you like, you could download wget for Windows, then use that to download Book II in chunks. As long as you run it from the same directory with the partially downloaded file,
will continue the download where you left off.
Code: Select all
wget -c <URL>
