Spell level bug?

Here's where all things related to Book II are being discussed!
Post Reply
noname
Marshall
Posts: 140
Joined: May 2nd, 2011, 6:25 pm

Spell level bug?

Post by noname »

I just bought Eschalon 2 and am having great time. A couple of questions: First, as I have read here, there is no way to delete useless spells. This is bad. Next has anyone had problem with the spell level dropping down 2 levels every time you use the number keys to change to a different spell? I then have to go into the spell screen and reset the proper level each time. This gets to be a nuisance quickly. Is there a patch that fixed this? I am only a level 5 wizard and having a blast so far. Thanks
User avatar
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General
Posts: 2469
Joined: April 26th, 2008, 4:44 pm

Re: Spell level bug?

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

You may be having a problem that you set the quick-select when you were only able to use the spell at that lower level, and haven't reset the selection button. You can, actually, have the same spell at different levels set on different quick-select slots.
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
noname
Marshall
Posts: 140
Joined: May 2nd, 2011, 6:25 pm

Re: Spell level bug?

Post by noname »

I am dumb. Thanks Kreador. Have there been any patches released? I really enjoy trying out all the spells for fun, but can't since I'm limited and must save spell slots for better spells. I hope by the time I finish book 2 and then book 1, book 3 will be out.
I don't see any patches on the site. Hope they fix this for Eschalon 3. Thanks for the reply.
User avatar
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General
Posts: 2469
Joined: April 26th, 2008, 4:44 pm

Re: Spell level bug?

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

Raising your Intelligence and/or Wisdom, even temporarily, does add to your ability to learn more spells. There are fairly standard items in the game that will let you add a total of, I believe, 12 points to Int or 9 to Wis.
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
User avatar
KillingMoon
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]
Posts: 460
Joined: December 10th, 2009, 6:34 pm
Location: NW Europe

Re: Spell level bug?

Post by KillingMoon »

noname wrote:I really enjoy trying out all the spells for fun, but can't since I'm limited and must save spell slots for better spells.
You could of course save your game before learning a new spell, try that spell and go back if you don't like it.
But like in any good strategy game, you're making choices and they have an impact on the rest of the game. In roleplaying games this especially goes for how you setup your character.

In Eschalon it could perhaps be made graphically a bit clearer in the spell book how many spells you can learn at that moment. With skills and attributes you get a certain amount of points to spend and that's clear. Your spellbook has, similarly, only a limited amount of slots, but visually that's not clear.
I think this would indeed deserve another look from the game developer.
But I don't think he will make the kind of 'fix' or 'patch' you seem to be hoping for. The best thing you can perhaps do is to download Xolotl's character editor, I believe that gives you more or less unlimited options.
User avatar
xolotl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Posts: 777
Joined: August 21st, 2008, 2:54 pm

Re: Spell level bug?

Post by xolotl »

noname wrote:Have there been any patches released?
BW does release new versions of the game when they're available, though it's as a full download, not just a "patch" with the changes. Book II is at version 1.05, and Book I is at version 1.06, at the moment. To get the most recent Book II, you can just download it from the downloads page (the demo is the same code as the full game). I wouldn't expect new versions of either for some time, though, since BW is into the Book III coding now.
User avatar
IJBall
Major
Major
Posts: 1686
Joined: August 31st, 2008, 12:07 pm
Location: Southern California

Re: Spell level bug?

Post by IJBall »

xolotl wrote:...I wouldn't expect new versions of either for some time, though, since BW is into the Book III coding now.
Well, there's always a chance that we'll get a Yoma River Caverns (or whatever it's called!) expansion for Book II sometime in the next year to tide us over until Book III is released.

You know - maybe BW will get tired of Book III coding for a while later on this summer, and will blow off steam by taking a few weeks to do up the Yoma River Caverns expansion!!! :D

(What?! It could happen!! :P :mrgreen: )
noname
Marshall
Posts: 140
Joined: May 2nd, 2011, 6:25 pm

Re: Spell level bug?

Post by noname »

Thanks to all for the help. I was going to download the v.1.05 but since I only have dial-up it would take 16 hours and I would get kicked off the internet long before that. I am told that a download manager would help. How can I use a download manager with one of the servers listed such as Atomic? As you can tell I am not very computer literate. Any help will be appreciated. Thank you.
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate
Posts: 1469
Joined: December 11th, 2007, 6:51 am
Location: Wandering the Rift

Re: Spell level bug?

Post by Randomizer »

Safari browser allows you to resume downloads after your ISP kicks you out at 12 hours. I had to do it that way to get Book 2.
noname
Marshall
Posts: 140
Joined: May 2nd, 2011, 6:25 pm

Re: Spell level bug?

Post by noname »

Thank You Randomizer, Doesn't a Safari browswr have something to do with a Mac pc? I have a Windows IBM. On the Basilisk download page my only choices are Atomic gamer,Gamershell,Download.com,or Local. None of those mention the word Safari after I click on them. :cry:
User avatar
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General
Posts: 2469
Joined: April 26th, 2008, 4:44 pm

Re: Spell level bug?

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

noname wrote:Thank You Randomizer, Doesn't a Safari browswr have something to do with a Mac pc? I have a Windows IBM. On the Basilisk download page my only choices are Atomic gamer,Gamershell,Download.com,or Local. None of those mention the word Safari after I click on them. :cry:
Safari is Apple's proprietary browser, yes. You might want to use a download management program that may be able to speed up the download as well as handle interruptions and such. I don't know any particular ones for Windows, as I'm a Mac head. ;-)
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate
Posts: 1469
Joined: December 11th, 2007, 6:51 am
Location: Wandering the Rift

Re: Spell level bug?

Post by Randomizer »

Apple released a version of Safari for Windows, but I don't know whether it's supported for your system.
User avatar
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate
Posts: 1372
Joined: June 4th, 2010, 7:18 pm

Re: Spell level bug?

Post by SpottedShroom »

If you like, you could download wget for Windows, then use that to download Book II in chunks. As long as you run it from the same directory with the partially downloaded file,

Code: Select all

wget -c <URL>
will continue the download where you left off.
Post Reply