Just finished - what I liked and didn't (SPOILERS)

Here's where all things related to Book II are being discussed!
User avatar
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious
Posts: 1466
Joined: August 29th, 2006, 3:38 pm
Location: CA, USA or Knumythia

Re: Just finished - what I liked and didn't (SPOILERS)

Post by Dragonlady »

RaithenLost, I too didn't like the dying wolf sounds. Even complained when I did the Beta testing. :) I think it goes back to my having to listen to (and not being able to do anything about it when youngster) of a neighbor beating his dog with a stick or bat. And I'm a mom too and wouldn't want my little one to hear it. Right now my little one isn't little anymore, he's 39! :lol: and he wacks away at the wolves with glee. Must be a guy thing. :roll:
Sometimes the dragon wins...
Help save the earth. It's the only planet with CHOCOLATE!
User avatar
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General
Posts: 2469
Joined: April 26th, 2008, 4:44 pm

Re: Just finished - what I liked and didn't (SPOILERS)

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

Dragonlady wrote:RaithenLost, I too didn't like the dying wolf sounds. Even complained when I did the Beta testing. :) I think it goes back to my having to listen to (and not being able to do anything about it when youngster) of a neighbor beating his dog with a stick or bat. And I'm a mom too and wouldn't want my little one to hear it. Right now my little one isn't little anymore, he's 39! :lol: and he wacks away at the wolves with glee. Must be a guy thing. :roll:
Not a guy thing. I often turn off the sound effects when fighting wolves (RaithenLost, you can go into the Options menu and just turn off the sound effects without turning off the music). My dogs look up at me funny if I leave the sounds on.
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
RaithenLost
Initiate
Posts: 11
Joined: July 7th, 2010, 11:08 am

Re: Just finished - what I liked and didn't (SPOILERS)

Post by RaithenLost »

Wow, Dragonlady, I think that kind of memory would get to anyone, guy or not! That's really heartbreaking.

Cheers for the tip about turning off the sound effects, Kreador. I should have figured there would be something like that, just didn't think to look for it.
User avatar
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General
Posts: 2469
Joined: April 26th, 2008, 4:44 pm

Re: Just finished - what I liked and didn't (SPOILERS)

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

RaithenLost wrote:Cheers for the tip about turning off the sound effects, Kreador. I should have figured there would be something like that, just didn't think to look for it.
It was a requested change between Book I and Book II, since some of us like to have our iTunes playing all the time. Whacking Outlanders to the sounds of Bob Marley can be fun.
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
User avatar
xolotl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Posts: 777
Joined: August 21st, 2008, 2:54 pm

Re: Just finished - what I liked and didn't (SPOILERS)

Post by xolotl »

Perhaps in addition to supporting multiple language packs, BW could give us the ability to use different soundeffect sets. Replace those admittedly-sad wolf noises with a nice innocuous "boink" or something. :)
Rowanas
Council Member
Posts: 183
Joined: July 3rd, 2010, 6:04 am

Re: Just finished - what I liked and didn't (SPOILERS)

Post by Rowanas »

Kreador Freeaxe wrote:
RaithenLost wrote:Cheers for the tip about turning off the sound effects, Kreador. I should have figured there would be something like that, just didn't think to look for it.
It was a requested change between Book I and Book II, since some of us like to have our iTunes playing all the time. Whacking Outlanders to the sounds of Bob Marley can be fun.
Don't worry, about a thing...
*CRUNCH* "insert screams here"
'cause every little thing, gonna be alright...
MY EYES!!! MY BEAUTIFUL *Gurgle splatter ghech"
singing don't worry...
User avatar
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin
Posts: 3900
Joined: July 6th, 2006, 11:31 am
Location: The Grid
Contact:

Re: Just finished - what I liked and didn't (SPOILERS)

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

xolotl wrote:Perhaps in addition to supporting multiple language packs, BW could give us the ability to use different soundeffect sets. Replace those admittedly-sad wolf noises with a nice innocuous "boink" or something. :)
You think it's sad to hear those sounds? You should have been here when I had to record the sounds! Poor doggies!



JUST KIDDING! I love animals! If it makes you feel any better, those sounds came from recordings of Alaskan sled dogs who where very excited to be fed. A couple careful edits and they sound like painful yelps.
Rowanas
Council Member
Posts: 183
Joined: July 3rd, 2010, 6:04 am

Re: Just finished - what I liked and didn't (SPOILERS)

Post by Rowanas »

Heh. Awesome. I hate dogs, but I really like wolves. BW, would you consider making it dogs in the next game? I'd prefer to beat the stuffing out of them.
User avatar
xolotl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Posts: 777
Joined: August 21st, 2008, 2:54 pm

Re: Just finished - what I liked and didn't (SPOILERS)

Post by xolotl »

Jedi_Learner wrote:Korren could tell you that the Dwarves wouldn't believe your story, and that they would rather die than let an outsider leave with their prized gemstone. What do you think?
I do agree that some extension of Korren's dialogue could help, though I think that particular point was implied pretty strongly:
Korren wrote:Dwarven mines are grand hallowed halls, places of worship and reverence, and storage vaults for their treasures. The Dwarves would never consider lifting the Crux from its place of origin- in fact the very pedestal it sits upon is the same rock that has held it up since the beginning of time.
I think it's pretty clear from that that there's no way to get the gem but theft or violence.
User avatar
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin
Posts: 3900
Joined: July 6th, 2006, 11:31 am
Location: The Grid
Contact:

Re: Just finished - what I liked and didn't (SPOILERS)

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

Jedi_Learner wrote:I feel the same way. I'd be happy if Korren had a slight extension of his dialogue where he tells you to harden your heart and kill if necessary, the survival of Mistfell and the rest of Eschalon depends on it. Korren could tell you that the Dwarves wouldn't believe your story, and that they would rather die than let an outsider leave with their prized gemstone. What do you think?
From Darus' note at the very start of Book II: "Please take caution- be wary of the intention of others, even those you may trust." Am I saying Korren was misleading you? Not at all- just that assumptions are dangerous.

I do regret not allowing for more options with certain quests in Book II, but in regard to Hammerlorne, the quest can be done with minimal harm to the Dwarves if you wish.

In the upcoming add-on, you'll get further hints at the origins of the Orakur and how some of these events of Book II tie together, but it is likely to get a bit more confusing before it becomes clearer. One thing that is for certain- in the add-on I am also referencing events and info from Book I, so if you are not familiar with Book I some of it will be new to you.
User avatar
IJBall
Major
Major
Posts: 1686
Joined: August 31st, 2008, 12:07 pm
Location: Southern California

Re: Just finished - what I liked and didn't (SPOILERS)

Post by IJBall »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:I do regret not allowing for more options with certain quests in Book II, but in regard to Hammerlorne, the quest can be done with minimal harm to the Dwarves if you wish.
Eh, not if you want treasure!! :mrgreen:

(I'm sorry! Those Dwarves wouldn't give me their loot!! They had to die!!! :twisted: )
Farwalker
Officer [Silver Rank]
Officer [Silver Rank]
Posts: 382
Joined: June 30th, 2008, 9:50 pm

Re: Just finished - what I liked and didn't (SPOILERS)

Post by Farwalker »

xolotl wrote:
RaithenLost wrote:- being forced to raid Hammerlorne. I felt like a real s**t marching in and wiping out peaceful dwarves to steal their sacred gem.
Yeah, this continues to bother me. IMO, this should cause the True Healer challenge to fail as well. Perhaps you should get a bunch of extra XP upon exiting Hammerlorne if you made it through without killing a single dwarf. It should be possible with a sneaky-enough character. I'm not sure if it's possible for Mages to get Invisibility by that point in the game...
It is possible, I just did it yesterday in fact. Also didn't like the idea of hurting the dwarves - the undead and critters got cleared out though, as did most things that weren't bolted down. Hide in shadows and silence worked like a charm.
User avatar
IJBall
Major
Major
Posts: 1686
Joined: August 31st, 2008, 12:07 pm
Location: Southern California

Re: Just finished - what I liked and didn't (SPOILERS)

Post by IJBall »

Farwalker wrote:
xolotl wrote:Yeah, this continues to bother me. IMO, this should cause the True Healer challenge to fail as well. Perhaps you should get a bunch of extra XP upon exiting Hammerlorne if you made it through without killing a single dwarf. It should be possible with a sneaky-enough character. I'm not sure if it's possible for Mages to get Invisibility by that point in the game...
It is possible, I just did it yesterday in fact. Also didn't like the idea of hurting the dwarves - the undead and critters got cleared out though, as did most things that weren't bolted down. Hide in shadows and silence worked like a charm.
Really? Your Hide in Shadows didn't "break"?

Because mine sure did in Hammerlorne in my last playthrough (though I easily could avoid dwarves anyway, if I wanted to).
User avatar
Painted Lady
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Posts: 811
Joined: April 23rd, 2009, 4:09 pm

Re: Just finished - what I liked and didn't (SPOILERS)

Post by Painted Lady »

Well, actually, killing the dwarves does not cause the "true healer" challenge to be broken. Once the guys in Hammerlorne see you in their mine, they consider you the enemy. At that point they are no longer "friendly aligned" NPCs.

The thing I like about BW's games is that you can play "hack and slash" or you can have a conscience - it all works :? :roll:
Farwalker
Officer [Silver Rank]
Officer [Silver Rank]
Posts: 382
Joined: June 30th, 2008, 9:50 pm

Re: Just finished - what I liked and didn't (SPOILERS)

Post by Farwalker »

IJBall wrote: Really? Your Hide in Shadows didn't "break"?

Because mine sure did in Hammerlorne in my last playthrough (though I easily could avoid dwarves anyway, if I wanted to).
Not once around the dwarves. I had invisibility as a backup but didn't need it.
Post Reply