What after the end?

Here's where all things related to Book II are being discussed!
Post Reply
whatever
Pledge
Posts: 2
Joined: July 29th, 2010, 1:04 pm

What after the end?

Post by whatever »

Can we play after completing main quest, I mean explore what's unexplored and kill what's not killed?
Can we play more than just on Mistfell, Norland and Amireth?
When I got to the Talushorn I thought I'm in about half of the game (got almost 30000 gold to spend) and thought I'll explore other half of the Eschalon. What about Thaermore, Crakamir, Midlande, Barrea, west Norland, Wylderan etc.? Did I missed something?
Btw, in this game should be something like more advanced build-in map of the world where we can see visited and not visited yet sectors and maybe even with minimap details.
User avatar
xolotl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Posts: 777
Joined: August 21st, 2008, 2:54 pm

Re: What after the end?

Post by xolotl »

whatever wrote:Can we play after completing main quest, I mean explore what's unexplored and kill what's not killed?
Can we play more than just on Mistfell, Norland and Amireth?
Book 2 includes only Mistfell, Nor'land and Amireth. As to further exploration, so long as you haven't entered the final level (with General Ghorr), you should be able to exit Talushorn and explore any areas you may have missed in the game.
What about Thaermore, Crakamir, Midlande, Barrea, west Norland, Wylderan etc.?
Book 1 is set in Thaermore and Crakamir. The others you mention aren't in any game yet.
User avatar
xolotl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Posts: 777
Joined: August 21st, 2008, 2:54 pm

Re: What after the end?

Post by xolotl »

And actually, in re: minimap showing where you've been - I did actually, at one point, write a little python script to generate a map graphic based on the combined minimaps that your character has accumulated during the game. Especially once your Cartography skill is high enough to start filling in the ground as you go, it's a nice way to see if you've missed anything.

It's a commandline thing, in Python, using Cairo to do its stuff, so Linux folks would find it more useful than Windows folks, though those packages are available on Windows as well.

Just put it somewhere in your $PATH, go into a savegame slot dir, and run the script, it'll output to "whole_map.png." Make sure to exit the dir before you save to that slot again, otherwise there may be locking issues.

http://apocalyptech.com/eschalon/misc/c ... sch_map.py
An example (SPOILERS)

Enjoy!

(Oh, and in case it wasn't clear, this only processes "outside" maps, so it leaves dungeons and other inside places alone.)
User avatar
IJBall
Major
Major
Posts: 1686
Joined: August 31st, 2008, 12:07 pm
Location: Southern California

Re: What after the end?

Post by IJBall »

xolotl wrote:And actually, in re: minimap showing where you've been - I did actually, at one point, write a little python script to generate a map graphic based on the combined minimaps that your character has accumulated during the game. Especially once your Cartography skill is high enough to start filling in the ground as you go, it's a nice way to see if you've missed anything.

It's a commandline thing, in Python, using Cairo to do its stuff, so Linux folks would find it more useful than Windows folks, though those packages are available on Windows itself.
Hey, xolotl - please pass this info on to BW: I very much want a feature like this (a so-called "meta" map) in Book III! :)
xolotl wrote:Book 1 is set in Thaermore and Crakamir.
Though, even in Book I's case, you're only seeing portions of both!... :| ;)
whatever
Pledge
Posts: 2
Joined: July 29th, 2010, 1:04 pm

Re: What after the end?

Post by whatever »

xolotl wrote:Just put it somewhere in your $PATH, go into a savegame slot dir, and run the script, it'll output to "whole_map.png." Make sure to exit the dir before you save to that slot again, otherwise there may be locking issues.
Where exactly put it and how to run it on Win?
User avatar
xolotl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Posts: 777
Joined: August 21st, 2008, 2:54 pm

Re: What after the end?

Post by xolotl »

whatever wrote:Where exactly put it and how to run it on Win?
Remember that I warned you that it's much easier to run via Linux. :)

1) Install Python and gtk+ (this one, most likely, though the gtk-win version might work, and be easier - gladewin32 is ancient but might work too), and PyCairo. It's possible you'd need PyGTK and PyGObject mentioned here, though it'd be worth it to try without, first.
2) I suppose you could throw it into c:\windows\system32 or something, though maybe it'd make sense to just put it elsewhere and call it directly, a la:

Code: Select all

C:\...\Book 2 Saved Games\slot10> C:\Somewhere\construct_esch_map.py
3) Note that that's from inside "cmd.exe" or whatever; you wouldn't be able to just double-click on it. At least modern Windowses have proper tab-completion.

If demand's high enough, perhaps I'll come back to this later and do up a simple little GUI for the Windows (and other) folks to use (with a much-simpler EXE installer), though I'd be lying if I said it's high on my priority list. Most of my personal-programming time's been diverted to getting a Book 2 map editor up and running. :)
Post Reply