Just finished - what I liked and didn't (SPOILERS)
-
Dragonlady
- Illustrious

- Posts: 1466
- Joined: August 29th, 2006, 3:38 pm
- Location: CA, USA or Knumythia
Re: Just finished - what I liked and didn't (SPOILERS)
RaithenLost, I too didn't like the dying wolf sounds. Even complained when I did the Beta testing.
I think it goes back to my having to listen to (and not being able to do anything about it when youngster) of a neighbor beating his dog with a stick or bat. And I'm a mom too and wouldn't want my little one to hear it. Right now my little one isn't little anymore, he's 39!
and he wacks away at the wolves with glee. Must be a guy thing. 
Sometimes the dragon wins...
Help save the earth. It's the only planet with CHOCOLATE!
Help save the earth. It's the only planet with CHOCOLATE!
-
Kreador Freeaxe
- Major General

- Posts: 2469
- Joined: April 26th, 2008, 4:44 pm
Re: Just finished - what I liked and didn't (SPOILERS)
Not a guy thing. I often turn off the sound effects when fighting wolves (RaithenLost, you can go into the Options menu and just turn off the sound effects without turning off the music). My dogs look up at me funny if I leave the sounds on.Dragonlady wrote:RaithenLost, I too didn't like the dying wolf sounds. Even complained when I did the Beta testing.I think it goes back to my having to listen to (and not being able to do anything about it when youngster) of a neighbor beating his dog with a stick or bat. And I'm a mom too and wouldn't want my little one to hear it. Right now my little one isn't little anymore, he's 39!
and he wacks away at the wolves with glee. Must be a guy thing.
---
Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
-
RaithenLost
- Initiate
- Posts: 11
- Joined: July 7th, 2010, 11:08 am
Re: Just finished - what I liked and didn't (SPOILERS)
Wow, Dragonlady, I think that kind of memory would get to anyone, guy or not! That's really heartbreaking.
Cheers for the tip about turning off the sound effects, Kreador. I should have figured there would be something like that, just didn't think to look for it.
Cheers for the tip about turning off the sound effects, Kreador. I should have figured there would be something like that, just didn't think to look for it.
-
Kreador Freeaxe
- Major General

- Posts: 2469
- Joined: April 26th, 2008, 4:44 pm
Re: Just finished - what I liked and didn't (SPOILERS)
It was a requested change between Book I and Book II, since some of us like to have our iTunes playing all the time. Whacking Outlanders to the sounds of Bob Marley can be fun.RaithenLost wrote:Cheers for the tip about turning off the sound effects, Kreador. I should have figured there would be something like that, just didn't think to look for it.
---
Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
Re: Just finished - what I liked and didn't (SPOILERS)
Perhaps in addition to supporting multiple language packs, BW could give us the ability to use different soundeffect sets. Replace those admittedly-sad wolf noises with a nice innocuous "boink" or something. :)
Re: Just finished - what I liked and didn't (SPOILERS)
Don't worry, about a thing...Kreador Freeaxe wrote:It was a requested change between Book I and Book II, since some of us like to have our iTunes playing all the time. Whacking Outlanders to the sounds of Bob Marley can be fun.RaithenLost wrote:Cheers for the tip about turning off the sound effects, Kreador. I should have figured there would be something like that, just didn't think to look for it.
*CRUNCH* "insert screams here"
'cause every little thing, gonna be alright...
MY EYES!!! MY BEAUTIFUL *Gurgle splatter ghech"
singing don't worry...
-
BasiliskWrangler
- Site Admin
- Posts: 3900
- Joined: July 6th, 2006, 11:31 am
- Location: The Grid
- Contact:
Re: Just finished - what I liked and didn't (SPOILERS)
You think it's sad to hear those sounds? You should have been here when I had to record the sounds! Poor doggies!xolotl wrote:Perhaps in addition to supporting multiple language packs, BW could give us the ability to use different soundeffect sets. Replace those admittedly-sad wolf noises with a nice innocuous "boink" or something.
JUST KIDDING! I love animals! If it makes you feel any better, those sounds came from recordings of Alaskan sled dogs who where very excited to be fed. A couple careful edits and they sound like painful yelps.
Re: Just finished - what I liked and didn't (SPOILERS)
Heh. Awesome. I hate dogs, but I really like wolves. BW, would you consider making it dogs in the next game? I'd prefer to beat the stuffing out of them.
Re: Just finished - what I liked and didn't (SPOILERS)
I do agree that some extension of Korren's dialogue could help, though I think that particular point was implied pretty strongly:Jedi_Learner wrote:Korren could tell you that the Dwarves wouldn't believe your story, and that they would rather die than let an outsider leave with their prized gemstone. What do you think?
I think it's pretty clear from that that there's no way to get the gem but theft or violence.Korren wrote:Dwarven mines are grand hallowed halls, places of worship and reverence, and storage vaults for their treasures. The Dwarves would never consider lifting the Crux from its place of origin- in fact the very pedestal it sits upon is the same rock that has held it up since the beginning of time.
-
BasiliskWrangler
- Site Admin
- Posts: 3900
- Joined: July 6th, 2006, 11:31 am
- Location: The Grid
- Contact:
Re: Just finished - what I liked and didn't (SPOILERS)
From Darus' note at the very start of Book II: "Please take caution- be wary of the intention of others, even those you may trust." Am I saying Korren was misleading you? Not at all- just that assumptions are dangerous.Jedi_Learner wrote:I feel the same way. I'd be happy if Korren had a slight extension of his dialogue where he tells you to harden your heart and kill if necessary, the survival of Mistfell and the rest of Eschalon depends on it. Korren could tell you that the Dwarves wouldn't believe your story, and that they would rather die than let an outsider leave with their prized gemstone. What do you think?
I do regret not allowing for more options with certain quests in Book II, but in regard to Hammerlorne, the quest can be done with minimal harm to the Dwarves if you wish.
In the upcoming add-on, you'll get further hints at the origins of the Orakur and how some of these events of Book II tie together, but it is likely to get a bit more confusing before it becomes clearer. One thing that is for certain- in the add-on I am also referencing events and info from Book I, so if you are not familiar with Book I some of it will be new to you.
Re: Just finished - what I liked and didn't (SPOILERS)
Eh, not if you want treasure!!BasiliskWrangler wrote:I do regret not allowing for more options with certain quests in Book II, but in regard to Hammerlorne, the quest can be done with minimal harm to the Dwarves if you wish.
(I'm sorry! Those Dwarves wouldn't give me their loot!! They had to die!!!
Re: Just finished - what I liked and didn't (SPOILERS)
It is possible, I just did it yesterday in fact. Also didn't like the idea of hurting the dwarves - the undead and critters got cleared out though, as did most things that weren't bolted down. Hide in shadows and silence worked like a charm.xolotl wrote:Yeah, this continues to bother me. IMO, this should cause the True Healer challenge to fail as well. Perhaps you should get a bunch of extra XP upon exiting Hammerlorne if you made it through without killing a single dwarf. It should be possible with a sneaky-enough character. I'm not sure if it's possible for Mages to get Invisibility by that point in the game...RaithenLost wrote:- being forced to raid Hammerlorne. I felt like a real s**t marching in and wiping out peaceful dwarves to steal their sacred gem.
Re: Just finished - what I liked and didn't (SPOILERS)
Really? Your Hide in Shadows didn't "break"?Farwalker wrote:It is possible, I just did it yesterday in fact. Also didn't like the idea of hurting the dwarves - the undead and critters got cleared out though, as did most things that weren't bolted down. Hide in shadows and silence worked like a charm.xolotl wrote:Yeah, this continues to bother me. IMO, this should cause the True Healer challenge to fail as well. Perhaps you should get a bunch of extra XP upon exiting Hammerlorne if you made it through without killing a single dwarf. It should be possible with a sneaky-enough character. I'm not sure if it's possible for Mages to get Invisibility by that point in the game...
Because mine sure did in Hammerlorne in my last playthrough (though I easily could avoid dwarves anyway, if I wanted to).
-
Painted Lady
- Lieutenant

- Posts: 811
- Joined: April 23rd, 2009, 4:09 pm
Re: Just finished - what I liked and didn't (SPOILERS)
Well, actually, killing the dwarves does not cause the "true healer" challenge to be broken. Once the guys in Hammerlorne see you in their mine, they consider you the enemy. At that point they are no longer "friendly aligned" NPCs.
The thing I like about BW's games is that you can play "hack and slash" or you can have a conscience - it all works

The thing I like about BW's games is that you can play "hack and slash" or you can have a conscience - it all works
Re: Just finished - what I liked and didn't (SPOILERS)
Not once around the dwarves. I had invisibility as a backup but didn't need it.IJBall wrote: Really? Your Hide in Shadows didn't "break"?
Because mine sure did in Hammerlorne in my last playthrough (though I easily could avoid dwarves anyway, if I wanted to).

![Officer [Silver Rank] Officer [Silver Rank]](./images/ranks/officer2.png)