The biggest obstacle to playing the Alchemist challenge is: not enough flasks. You'd think there'd be a wholesale distributor somewhere, but you only occasionally see one or two in a shop.
It's bad enough if you just want to make potions to consume, but worse if you want to be a Mad Firebomber since you obviously can't recycle those.
I even tried drinking a found mana potion just to get the empty flask, but it turns out you can't do that.
On a completely unrelated note, I think it's hilarious that I can't parry with my bare hands, but I can if I'm holding a rock.
Crazy Bernie, I look forward to your depiction of our brave hero fending off maces, arrows and spider fangs with his trusty chunk of chert. White knuckles, for sure.
Need more flasks
-
SpottedShroom
- Captain Magnate

- Posts: 1372
- Joined: June 4th, 2010, 7:18 pm
Re: Need more flasks
Really? I've always used found potions as my source of flasks. Was it unidentified, maybe?Turtle wrote: I even tried drinking a found mana potion just to get the empty flask, but it turns out you can't do that.
On a separate note, it's kind of unfortunate you can't drink unidentified potions or use unidentified gear. I know letting people do it would encourage metagaming, since it can be easy to identify items by their icon once you've played for a while.
For potions at least, rendering unknown ones as a random color but still allowing them to be used might be interesting. Especially if it doesn't tell you what the effect is!
Re: Need more flasks
I agree - another small modification I'd like to see to Book II for v1.04 is an increase in the sale of Empty Flasks.Turtle wrote:The biggest obstacle to playing the Alchemist challenge is: not enough flasks. You'd think there'd be a wholesale distributor somewhere, but you only occasionally see one or two in a shop.
I think, 1) the number of Empty Flasks on sale at any one time should be bumped up (right now, it seems like it's usually 2-5 on sale at a time - something 3-10 would better...), and 2) Empty Flasks should always be on sale in a couple of the shops (i.e. they should be a "set" sales items in a couple of the potions places).
But I do think there's a relative scarcity of Empty Flasks, as well as merchant cash-on-hand, in Book II currently...
-
Gorgon Rider
- Marshall
- Posts: 100
- Joined: May 26th, 2010, 1:42 pm
- Location: Surrey, B.C., Canada
Re: Need more flasks
That would be exactly it. The Alchemist challenge means you can never cast a magic spell, so you'll never need to (or be able to) use a mana potion.Jedi_Learner wrote:Perhaps his character didn't use mana? You can't drink a mana potion if you are full on mana.SpottedShroom wrote:Really? I've always used found potions as my source of flasks. Was it unidentified, maybe?
(Actually, if you equipped an item that adds mana, you could drink a potion to top your mana up, but that's rather a roundabout way to get an empty flask).
Re: Need more flasks
Well, if I happen to run across one of those pendants I might hang onto it for the purpose, but it wouldn't be worth paying the shop price for it.
