Identify items

Here's where all things related to Book II are being discussed!
Post Reply
everyjunk
Pledge
Posts: 2
Joined: June 9th, 2010, 6:24 pm

Identify items

Post by everyjunk »

How do I identify items? I just started and I am in Eastwillow. I have a bunch of unknown items that I would like to use but can't. Do I have to sell it and buy it back to get it identified?

Thanks
User avatar
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General
Posts: 2469
Joined: April 26th, 2008, 4:44 pm

Re: Identify items

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

When in the sales screen with a merchant you can right-click on an item in your inventory and if it's unidentified, the merchant will offer to tell you what it is for half of the item's value (or less, I believe, if you have mercantile skill).
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
User avatar
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious
Posts: 1466
Joined: August 29th, 2006, 3:38 pm
Location: CA, USA or Knumythia

Re: Identify items

Post by Dragonlady »

Kreador Freeaxe wrote:When in the sales screen with a merchant you can right-click on an item in your inventory and if it's unidentified, the merchant will offer to tell you what it is for half of the item's value (or less, I believe, if you have mercantile skill).
True, and if you have more than one item (like pile of arrows), only one is identified and the rest are freebie id'd. So you can use them or sell them and recoup your fee.
Sometimes the dragon wins...
Help save the earth. It's the only planet with CHOCOLATE!
User avatar
Gorgon Rider
Marshall
Posts: 100
Joined: May 26th, 2010, 1:42 pm
Location: Surrey, B.C., Canada

Re: Identify items

Post by Gorgon Rider »

One feature I really like is if you have a stackable item in your inventory and you find others that aren't IDed, when you pick them up, they go right into the stack and are automatically IDed for you. I hate the mechanic where you can't identify an item you already have and are using.

Of course, it doesn't make sense that you can't ID said item right in the container, but it's still a far better mechanic than having it sit unidentified when you have the exact same item in your inventory already. Now, if only that worked for unstackables as well...
User avatar
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate
Posts: 1473
Joined: November 29th, 2007, 1:11 pm

Re: Identify items

Post by CrazyBernie »

Gorgon Rider wrote: Of course, it doesn't make sense that you can't ID said item right in the container, but it's still a far better mechanic than having it sit unidentified when you have the exact same item in your inventory already. Now, if only that worked for unstackables as well...
It does work with unstackables. It's called "Comparison ID'ing"
User avatar
Gorgon Rider
Marshall
Posts: 100
Joined: May 26th, 2010, 1:42 pm
Location: Surrey, B.C., Canada

Re: Identify items

Post by Gorgon Rider »

Yes, and I as the player know what most of those unidentified items are. But my character still has to either pay to have them IDed or cast the Lore spell to figure it out. ;)
everyjunk
Pledge
Posts: 2
Joined: June 9th, 2010, 6:24 pm

Re: Identify items

Post by everyjunk »

lol I'm retarded. Thanks!
User avatar
KillingMoon
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]
Posts: 460
Joined: December 10th, 2009, 6:34 pm
Location: NW Europe

Re: Identify items

Post by KillingMoon »

Does anyone know how the price for identifying an item gets established?

I believe I have an unidentified piece of armour in my current game, then I saw at a shop an exactly similiar looking piece of armour with exactly the same weight as well.
I believe the item would have cost me something like 1400 gold to buy, but over 2000 gold to have my own armour identified. Can that be right, or would that mean my item would have different properties?
I can always enter my current game and see if I can verify what I'm saying here from memory, because already for half a game or so I'm walking around with this unidentified piece of armour. I'm considering buying a Lore scroll to help me find out what it is.

To Everyjunk; Intelligence helps to identify things, and Lore. There is a Lore scroll in the game, and also some items boost your Lore skill (that is, I at least know of one item that boosts your Lore).
User avatar
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General
Posts: 2469
Joined: April 26th, 2008, 4:44 pm

Re: Identify items

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

KillingMoon wrote:Does anyone know how the price for identifying an item gets established?

I believe I have an unidentified piece of armour in my current game, then I saw at a shop an exactly similiar looking piece of armour with exactly the same weight as well.
I believe the item would have cost me something like 1400 gold to buy, but over 2000 gold to have my own armour identified. Can that be right, or would that mean my item would have different properties?
I can always enter my current game and see if I can verify what I'm saying here from memory, because already for half a game or so I'm walking around with this unidentified piece of armour. I'm considering buying a Lore scroll to help me find out what it is.

To Everyjunk; Intelligence helps to identify things, and Lore. There is a Lore scroll in the game, and also some items boost your Lore skill (that is, I at least know of one item that boosts your Lore).
It always costs 1/2 of the item's value to identify it, so the piece of armor you have is considerably more valuable than the one you saw in the shop, despite having a very similar picture. Does it have a flashing colored border, which would indicate that it carries an enchantment?
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
User avatar
KillingMoon
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]
Posts: 460
Joined: December 10th, 2009, 6:34 pm
Location: NW Europe

Re: Identify items

Post by KillingMoon »

Mwah, my memory is mixing up things. I thought I had a piece of armour of 4 lb and a bit, costing 2100 gold to identify, but it's a piece of armour of 21 lb, costing 400 gold to identify.
And I'm not seeing anything similar at a blacksmith just now.

But it's good to know it always costs halve the value of something to have it identified. I thought it might become cheaper the closer you come to identify it on your own. Thanks for the answer, Kreador Freeaxe.
Post Reply