Game icon
-
sakuramboo
- Pledge
- Posts: 4
- Joined: June 25th, 2009, 5:41 pm
Game icon
There is no icon for the Linux version and come to think of it, Book 1 didn't have one either. I'm sure that the executable has a custom icon in Windows. Is there some way to get the icon for it? I have tried googling for it, but I haven't found any icons and I don't want to reuse the one for Book 1 that I found.
-
BasiliskWrangler
- Site Admin
- Posts: 3899
- Joined: July 6th, 2006, 11:31 am
- Location: The Grid
- Contact:
Re: Game icon
Yes, I can give you the Book II icon. I have never been able to make an icon "stick" for Linux. 
-
sakuramboo
- Pledge
- Posts: 4
- Joined: June 25th, 2009, 5:41 pm
Re: Game icon
With Linux, it is totally different then in Windows. You need to create a separate .desktop executable file that points to the real executable. There is a simple how-to here.
http://goinglinux.com/articles/SystemIcons.html
That article is for KDE, but the same holds true for Gnome, too. You just need to make the icon file accessible by the .desktop file. And when you set the execute bit, the name of the shortcut gets renamed to what you specified in the file. Another nice thing is, that file can be copied to ~/.local/share/applications and/or /usr/share/applications if you install it in the users home directory or globally, respectively. This will also help in creating the shortcut in the main menu in Gnome.
Personally, I install all third party games in my home directory and I manage everything myself so I would rather have just the icon file and nothing more, but just providing the information if at a later date you decide to use installers like mojo.
http://goinglinux.com/articles/SystemIcons.html
That article is for KDE, but the same holds true for Gnome, too. You just need to make the icon file accessible by the .desktop file. And when you set the execute bit, the name of the shortcut gets renamed to what you specified in the file. Another nice thing is, that file can be copied to ~/.local/share/applications and/or /usr/share/applications if you install it in the users home directory or globally, respectively. This will also help in creating the shortcut in the main menu in Gnome.
Personally, I install all third party games in my home directory and I manage everything myself so I would rather have just the icon file and nothing more, but just providing the information if at a later date you decide to use installers like mojo.
-
sirdilznik
- Officer [Gold Rank]
![Officer [Gold Rank] Officer [Gold Rank]](./images/ranks/officer3.png)
- Posts: 439
- Joined: April 15th, 2010, 6:40 am
Re: Game icon
^^^ I too often manage my own menus since I used to run FVWM as my WM, these days I run e17, but that's neither here or there. Back on topic, I made a simple 128x128 png file from the title that could be used as an icon (and by that I mean I just swiped the title logo from the manual pdf and scaled it down to the appropriate size
):

Edit: Here it is 64x64:


Edit: Here it is 64x64:

Will Pay For Cloth Map